Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if it's ever going to happen. At 6 ft 5.5 I need a top tube at a minimum longer than 25" and the XL Ripley is less than that. Makes me real sad.

Any other super tall riders try to fit on an xl?

H

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm 6'4" and ride an XL Ripley with a 110mm stem and 700mm bars. It rides nicely in that configuration. I ride mostly XC. I would think it would still ride fine with a 120mm stem and a little wider bar, but it would be best to try one out if at all possible.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Since Ripleys run on the small side of sizes (short top tubes), there's definately a need for an XXL. Even I would have gotten one due to the fact that I'm running a 100mm stem on an XL and I'd like to try run a shorter stem. Next generation Ripley, perhaps?

I am only 6' 1 1/2", but loong legs.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'm 6'4" and ride an XL Ripley with a 110mm stem and 700mm bars. It rides nicely in that configuration. I ride mostly XC. I would think it would still ride fine with a 120mm stem and a little wider bar, but it would be best to try one out if at all possible.
There are ways to make the bike fit bigger guys. If you lengthen the stem and widen the bars you'll probably feel properly stretched out during seated climbing. The problem comes when you stand up/descent because the Ripley has a pretty short reach, even in the XL size. There ends up being a lot of you hanging over the front of the bike if you are a big guy. Ibis basically shrunk the reach by slacking the STA, making for a tight wheelbase, but this does come with some tradeoffs.

So at 6'2" I'm overall pretty satisfied with the balance between climbing and descending on my XL, but any bigger and I'd probably pass for a bike with a longer reach measurement.

All depends on where and how you like to ride of course. YMMV.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So at 6'2" I'm overall pretty satisfied with the balance between climbing and descending on my XL, but any bigger and I'd probably pass for a bike with a longer reach measurement.

All depends on where and how you like to ride of course. YMMV.
Bingo.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'm 6'2.5" and happy on an XL. It does have a short-ish top tube, but I think it's all part of the feel and design philosophy of the bike. Short wheelbase, agile and flickable and quick and playful. It's definitely not a slacked-out, super stable DH rocket, but it's not supposed to be.

That said, I think ~6'4" is about as tall as could fit on an XL.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I for one would love to see an XXL Ripley. I'm 6'4" and have an XL Mojo HD that I've always felt is a little on the small side for me and I understand the sizing is similar between the two. I did get to demo an XL Ripley and it definitely felt small. I then rode an XXL Tallboy and was instantly in love with having a bike that actually fit. If Ibis offered the Ripley in XXL, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I fear I'm going to have to take second best and go for a Tallboy if I want a bike that fits. =(

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I for one would love to see an XXL Ripley. I'm 6'4" and have an XL Mojo HD that I've always felt is a little on the small side for me and I understand the sizing is similar between the two. I did get to demo an XL Ripley and it definitely felt small. I then rode an XXL Tallboy and was instantly in love with having a bike that actually fit. If Ibis offered the Ripley in XXL, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but I fear I'm going to have to take second best and go for a Tallboy if I want a bike that fits. =(
It may be that we have supply and demand against us. The number of tall guys who would actually throw down for an xxl Ripley is probably not enough to justify the tooling. Even Yeti (according to John P) loses money on their XL SB-95's. Hmm...

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
It may be that we have supply and demand against us. The number of tall guys who would actually throw down for an xxl Ripley is probably not enough to justify the tooling. Even Yeti (according to John P) loses money on their XL SB-95's. Hmm...
And yet SC did the tooling for the XXL SC TB LTc when people demanded it.

·
More Torque
2,022 Posts
I too have an XL mojo, as well as a XXL Santa Cruz 29er, so I know what you mean about jumping on the "big boy bike" and having it feel like it just fits. From a fit perspective, the XL Ripley feels just like the XL mojo, i.e. small if you are a taller guy. To DrewBird's point, the Ripley does have that smallish, playful feel, very much like a 26 inch wheel bike. I still feel like I'd like a larger version, even if it gave up a little of that magic.

Have you considered the XL Pivot Mach 429 carbon? I've not ridden one, but it has the DW and looks to be a bit bigger than the XL Ibis. Reviews have been quite positive as well.

-D

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a 34" inseam. I had been riding a XXL Tallboy and XXL Highball with 120 mm stems and thought they fit me well. Until I got my XL Ripley and XL HDR650B. I feel so much more centered/balanced on these smaller bikes both in the air and when climbing switchbacks.

I would definitely suggest riding a demo bike as close to your size as possible on the trails you usually ride (if possible) before making the purchase.

I went from the XXL Tallboy to the XL HDR650B and instantly became a better rider and was having more fun. I thought it was just the 27.5" wheels and the added travel making the difference until I got the Ripley and realized it was more the fit/balance of the switch that was really making the difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts