Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Did you cut the right side of your fork off to make it lighter" one of the two hiker asks me this afternoon as they both carefully look over the updated FrankenFisher. My reply "Oh yes, and fortunately for me the wheel hasn't fallen off yet :rolleyes: "

Here it is after the maden voyage after staying up until almost midnight installing the Lefty last night. I just got the right cartridge. Cdale sent the wrong one at first (the PBR) as I already had the Poplock hydraulic handlebar lockout which requires the XLR cartridge. The internals are the same on both carts. I changed the oil from 5wt. to 7.5 wt. before installation.
I had the 2009 SF except that I ran into a barbed wire fence last fall at dusk (I just moved to a new place and I was riding a hiking trail that led through the fence :yikes: ) I got the 2011 frame in Jan. and had been riding it with the 2008 G2 Fox. I was worried a little that the Lefty, which is set up with 120mm of travel, would make the steering too slow as I hate slow steering bikes but I was pleasantly surprised today. Like my Leftified Tallboy, this thing is a guided missle. One advantage I have over the TB on this is the instant explosive power I get out of the saddle on smoother trails.

One other mod was that I took the Cane Creek Thudbuster apart and turned the links around to move the seat forward to get proper position for maximum power to the pedals. Like all of my bikes, it is set up with a 3x7 drivetrain. I usually run 177.5 cranks, but these are 180mm. I find they are great for out of the saddle hammering, but not as good for in the saddle.

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts

That is nice. Is it the 23"? Also do you know of anywhere online to buy the required BB bearings for this frame? Other than a Trek dealer.

yogiprophet said:
"Did you cut the right side of your fork off to make it lighter" one of the two hiker asks me this afternoon as they both carefully look over the updated FrankenFisher. My reply "Oh yes, and fortunately for me the wheel hasn't fallen off yet :rolleyes: "

Here it is after the maden voyage after staying up until almost midnight installing the Lefty last night. I just got the right cartridge. Cdale sent the wrong one at first (the PBR) as I already had the Poplock hydraulic handlebar lockout which requires the XLR cartridge. The internals are the same on both carts. I changed the oil from 5wt. to 7.5 wt. before installation.
I had the 2009 SF except that I ran into a barbed wire fence last fall at dusk (I just moved to a new place and I was riding a hiking trail that led through the fence :yikes: ) I got the 2011 frame in Jan. and had been riding it with the 2008 G2 Fox. I was worried a little that the Lefty, which is set up with 120mm of travel, would make the steering too slow as I hate slow steering bikes but I was pleasantly surprised today. Like my Leftified Tallboy, this thing is a guided missle. One advantage I have over the TB on this is the instant explosive power I get out of the saddle on smoother trails.

One other mod was that I took the Cane Creek Thudbuster apart and turned the links around to move the seat forward to get proper position for maximum power to the pedals. Like all of my bikes, it is set up with a 3x7 drivetrain. I usually run 177.5 cranks, but these are 180mm. I find they are great for out of the saddle hammering, but not as good for in the saddle.

·
mnt bike laws of physics
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, 23" and it has a highest standover of any bicycle I have owned to date.

I could not find any place on line to order the BB so I bought it from a Trek dealer. It came with an internal bearing protector and seals. I think it is the way to go.

·
Truly Doneski
541 Posts
Sweet looking ride. I like the lizard skins for the thudbuster too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts