Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Raleigh XXIX +G
http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=11&itemid=382

Some info on the forum. Maybe we can tie it together and get some additional feedback. Specs look good. Is GT the only one with any time on one? What are the personal experiences on this? I know, this is one of the bargain basement 29ers but that is probably the only way I would go into the 29er world.

I did do a quick test ride on a size large (I need an XL). The ride is comfortable. Steering felt good in the parking lot. Only negatives are that it is a bit flexy (might actually be good from a riding standpoint) and it is a bit heavy (tipped the scale at just over 31lb, digital shop scale). Both of the negatives could conceivably be remedied (different frame and parts upgrades) down the line if I decided it was necessary.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the XXIX is a decent rig too. Sounds like the frame is the same, but don't quote me on that. I gotta have gears though. This would be my XC race rig and I don't have any intention in racing the SS class. I also don't want to kill myself racing xc on my 35lb all mountain rig. Right out of the gate I would put some lighter tires and clipless pedals on the XXIX to drop it to under 30lb. Since that is all rotational weight I think the bike will really liven up and accelerate better.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
high on my list at the moment. not so concerned about weight....but i am about how the durable the wheels will be.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flyloki said:
Hey Barton 29er

What did you use to drop 5lbs and abour how much did it cost ya?
He has the SS/rigid version of the bike. Starts off a bit lighter FWIW ;)

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jgsatl said:
high on my list at the moment. not so concerned about weight....but i am about how the durable the wheels will be.
I dunno, wheels going out sooner than later might be a blessing in disguise :p I am sure that the wheelset is a bit portly by comparison to some of the other 29er offerings at current. Could probably lose over a pound in the wheels when you replace.

I am really thinking this may be the best platform for getting into the 29er scene. Nothing too fancy, but some solid components and a steel frame to get you going. Bling it from there or just ride it until something breaks :thumbsup:

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I have been riding the XXIX (SS Version) for about a month and a half now... Liking it more and more. My Medium is not too flexy, and it is pretty comfy for a rigid bike. I have had a couple of hand/wrist "stingers" dropping on it and also hitting some rocks in AZ a few weeks ago. For most of the NorCal trails I ride around here though it is fine. Mine weighs just under 27 lbs, stock with the tire replaced (Spec Resolutions) and Mallet C pedals. The tires knocked ~400 grams. Expect that I'll Stans it soon and that will save another 400 grams (the tubes weighed in at about 370g each!) so I'll be right about 26 lb with no major parts or lightweight goodies. This bike is fun, and it is kicking my ass into shape. Steers and handles predictably but still very responsive. Dirt Rag just did a review, and the opening paragraph said something along the lines of "Scrounge up $750 and get one of these!" I'm smiling. The XXIX+G is the same basic frame with a dropout that has the hanger screwed in. It has a Reba Fork and gears, and I think that is about it.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Here's my take so far....

I wanted to wait on this thread to see if anyone else had some thoughts on the geared bike, but it seems that there aren't too many opinions showing up on it yet, so I'm going to give my two cents here and move on......

This is how my XXIX+G is set up currently. Velocity Blunt/DT Swiss/ XT Disc wheels, Tamer carbon seat post, Titec H-bar, and an old ugly Control Tech stem. Tires are now WTB Weir Wolfs.

I think this 29"er is the most suited to longer, more epic trail rides than it is tight, technical single track trails. If you sag the fork quite a bit, you can liven up the front end, but that's a band aid solution. The thing is, this bike has a more stable, fast downhill/ fire road bent. At lesser levels of sag and in tight cornering situations, the front end feels slow and heavy, with a tendency to wheel flop. Happily, I have been able to set the floodgate on the Reba to allow more sag and not totally blow through it's travel in braking situations or in tight manouverings.

The reason for this is that Raleigh used the same frame geometry on the geared bike that it used on the single speed, (They are, in fact, the same exact frame with the exception of the EBB and cable braze ons) That means the head angle on the geared bike gives a trail figure in the 80's depending on your sag and that translates into slower, more stable handling. That's not a bad thing, it just might not be your cup of tea. It's not real conducive to super fast riding on our trails here which are twisty, super buff, fast stretches of track for the most part.

I'm going down to El Paso, Texas and I'm bringing this bike to see how it might fare in a totally different environment. I'll be sure to check back in here later.

Attachments

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
thanks for the replies!

i can't quite tell from photos (and my lbs doesn't have any of these yet)...is the der. hanger a welded part of the dropout?? or is that some sort of a der. hanger? i guess it wouldn't work with the non-+g version of the bike?

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
The SS version has a screwed-in plate on the rear dropout - from what I understand the derailluer hanger can be mounted here and you can put gears on it... Then the EBB just becomes a "crank positioning adjuster" so you can increase BB height or make it sit fore-aft in realtion to your saddle position! Like Guitar Ted said, the frames are basically the same - Geo is identical, so if you add a fork to the SS, you'll have slower steering, but that could be good in some places...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Love that stem. :thumbsup: Does it glow in the dark? :D

I guess it is orange for safety reasons. Like those orange tipped BB guns. So police don't gun down the kids shooting BBs.

Nobody is going to mistake you for one of those maniacs who ride bikes without a stem. ;)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Electric Cord Orange!

Quasi said:
Love that stem. :thumbsup: Does it glow in the dark? :D

I guess it is orange for safety reasons. Like those orange tipped BB guns. So police don't gun down the kids shooting BBs.

Nobody is going to mistake you for one of those maniacs who ride bikes without a stem. ;)
When did mountain biking go through that color phase......late 90's, I think? :D

I use that stem as a posistioning tool, to see if that rise and length are good before I buy some blingle stem and blow my money on the wrong size. I got it for almost free in a bunch of parts that were in a box for $5.00 one time. That box turned out to be a gold mine: 8 speed XTR shifter/brake lever combo set that worked perfectly, a Titec 118 titanium handlebar, that orange Control Tech stem, and a bunch of small parts.

Guess I was in the right place at the right time once, huh? ;)

Anyway, I use a couple parts bin stems that way. I'll eventually replace that stem, but for now, yeah.....it's a looker, ain't it? :p

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ATBScott said:
The SS version has a screwed-in plate on the rear dropout - from what I understand the derailluer hanger can be mounted here and you can put gears on it... Then the EBB just becomes a "crank positioning adjuster" so you can increase BB height or make it sit fore-aft in realtion to your saddle position! Like Guitar Ted said, the frames are basically the same - Geo is identical, so if you add a fork to the SS, you'll have slower steering, but that could be good in some places...
I didn't notice that the XXIX +G had an eccentric. Did I just miss it?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I suspect you could make the geared XXIX pretty light, I have got my singlespeed XXIX down to 23.5, although it required replacing just about every part save the frame and fork, and I didnt go superlight on anything just smart choices, but it should make for a blazing singlespeed this summer.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
ATBScott said:
do you know where i might find this derailleur hanger online? i'd thought of getting the ss....and converting it. i can live without front susp...but not gears. can a cassette be threaded on to the xxix rear wheel? sorry for the stupid questions....just trying to make up my mind. thanks!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts