Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a new Tallboy LTc on order with X01. I'm coming back to mountain biking after ~5 years break. In my mid 30s now, but used to be really into MTB when I was in high school / college. I'm pretty fit and strong.

My question is what chainring size are most people running? Santa Cruz spec'd the Tallboy with 34t ring, which I'm worried will be a little too tall for me. I'm planning to do all mountain riding and love to climb. Should I go with 30t size for now to make it easier on myself?

Any opinions appreciated.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,357 Posts
Hey, I have a new Tallboy LTc on order with X01. I'm coming back to mountain biking after ~5 years break. In my mid 30s now, but used to be really into MTB when I was in high school / college. I'm pretty fit and strong.

My question is what chainring size are most people running? Santa Cruz spec'd the Tallboy with 34t ring, which I'm worried will be a little too tall for me. I'm planning to do all mountain riding and love to climb. Should I go with 30t size for now to make it easier on myself?

Any opinions appreciated.
Does not compute.

Buy a 30t to go with it. Don't throw the 34t away or sell it. The wonderful thing about XX1 and XO1 is that you can simply change chainrings and, generally speaking, not have to remove any links from your chain. The clutch derailleur takes care of excess chain when you're swapping it out for a smaller ring.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's what I think I'm going to do - get a 30t installed and hold on to the 34t.

·
Mtbr member
102 Posts
I enjoy steep, technical climbs. My FS 29er came with XX1 30t, which was fine, but I switched to a 28t for a little extra help. I have the option of going to 26t as I have Race Face Next SL, but I have to search out all the nastiest, most challenging climbs before I can decide on that. Very happy so far, though.

To clarify, I didn't come across anything I couldn't climb on the 30t - just felt i'd suffer more on longer rides. The 28t keeps me off the pie plate (ie 42 on the cassette) more!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
XX1 here and have been running a 28t with 10X42 cassette, seems perfect for the mountains I ride. Not sure I would want anything lower.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all - you seem to confirm what I thought that the 34t may be a little tall for me (especially on a 29er)... There's no 28t option on X01 but I think 30t should be fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Buy the spider for the xx1 and put it on the X01 crank (or use the North Shore Billet) spider and you're good to go.

I'm 28t as well. I find it perfect for the high altitude climbing I do...Especially early in the season when the stumps just need a bail-out gear.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I run 28 on 1 bike & 26 on another, I like both.

On the trail it in nice to have a low gear if needed, I don't run out of top end that often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts