Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried running some searches and couldn't find much, but I have a stock 2013 Scott Scale 930 and I thinking about trying to drop a bit of weight.

Approx how much weight could I save by going to XX1 vs. the X7/X9 setup?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Full drivetrain? I'm not sure but cassette is about 100g lighter on XX1
would it be worth it to do the full drivetrain? I figure getting rid of the front derailleur and shifter alone would be worth it.

crank, cassette, rear derailleur, shifter and chain is what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I went from a 3x10 Xt/XTR shadow plus with 1650 gram wheels and an XT crankset to a 1x11 with a Next SL 28 tooth plus XO1 set up with a 1450 gram wheelset and dropped 2.1 pounds. You can probably research weights and come up with something usable.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
The data are out there...need to spend some more time searching...most is easy to find (SRAM website for instance). Make a spreadsheet, list each component, start googling.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tried running some searches and couldn't find much, but I have a stock 2013 Scott Scale 930 and I thinking about trying to drop a bit of weight.

Approx how much weight could I save by going to XX1 vs. the X7/X9 setup?
Best bang for the buck is to reuse crank arms, go spiderless front chainring, wolftooth etc, drop the front derailer, front derailer shifter, crank spider, big ring, and supporting hardware. Install the 42 or 40 tooth if you need the gear range. Good for quite a bit of weight for $100 or $200 if you go rear cog in tandem. Dropped X7 components are probably 2lbs +. XX1 would be slightly less with new cassette.

I just did x01, reused my x0 crank arms with spiderless front ring. Saved money and had a lighter crank then xx1 when considering the removal of the crank spider. Its been proven that xx1 xo1 and xo have the same crank arms wieghts

·
Registered
276 Posts
It is hard to say because it is unlikely the stock wheels with take a XD driver. Weight difference between 1x10 X9 and 1x11 XX1 would be minimal given similar cassette weights. Generally 1x systems save about 3/4 of a lbs compared to 2x systems given same rear derailleur and cassette weights.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here are my actual weights going from Bronson stock RAM setup to XX1. These are the actual weights on the scale, including bottom bracket. In general, I found SRAM posted weights to be slightly lower than actual (but not always) and Shimano was right on (within 2 grams on average).

Front Dérailleur XX1 0
Rear Dérailleur XX1 266
Shifters XX1 110
Crankset XX1 32t 680
Cassette XX1 10-42 244
Chain XX1 260
Total 1560

Front Dérailleur Shimano M611 or 610 (Deore) 148
Rear Dérailleur Shimano SLX M675 Shadow+ 310
Shifters Shimano SLX M670 300
Crankset Shimano (Deore) 24/32/42 (950) 980
Cassette Shimano HG 81, 11-36 (SLX) 10spd 345
Chain Shimano HG 75 10spd 268
Total 2351

I saved 1.75lbs. I did not weigh the cassette adaptor. I did XX1 at the same time as putting on LBS 30/35mm hookless rims and it's like I'm riding a brand new bike. Amazing, amazing difference. So far, i don't miss the 3x (granny gear) on the front at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts