Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a good part of the day tracking down an annoying squeak on my SS. The source was the drive side crank arm on XX1.

Anyone had similar problem? I don't have a clue what the exact source is, but it is without a doubt generated somewhere in that arm. I know because I swapped it out with another arm and it stopped. This was after: applying loctite and tightening chain ring bolts; changing pedals; greasing pedal threads; applying teflon tape to pedal threads.

Ideas?

·
2,881 Posts
I had the same or similar anyway. After tearing every bit apart that could be related and narrowing the source down to the pedal interface, I finally wicked some thin lube between the carbon and the AL insert the pedal itself threads into. Problem solved. AFAIK, I was the only one with this issue.......

I know your pain, I tired three different pedals, pulled the chainring and spider off, loctited all, lubed all, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I've greased the threads, used teflon tape, and tried it with and without washers. I'll try focusing on that small area where the pedal snugs up to the crank arm.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same or similar anyway. After tearing every bit apart that could be related and narrowing the source down to the pedal interface, I finally wicked some thin lube between the carbon and the AL insert the pedal itself threads into. Problem solved. AFAIK, I was the only one with this issue.......

I know your pain, I tired three different pedals, pulled the chainring and spider off, loctited all, lubed all, etc.
Hmmm, that didn't work. I wonder if the spindle can removed from the arm on the drive side. Maybe that connection is the source. I can actually feel the little vibration in my foot when it squeaks. It has to be generated along the arm somehow. More ideas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts