Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been running an XX1 setup on my Tallboy for about 6 months now, and it has always been a bit finicky to keep in adjustment. I am now at the point where I can either set it up to either shift cleanly in to the 42 or shift smoothly back down to the smaller gears. There doesn't seem to be a setting that will get me both. It seems like the shifter (Gripshift) just isn't pulling enough cable. I have lubed the derailleur and installed a new chain to no avail. Do I need a Bassworm? Any other ideas?

Shiftless in San Anselmo

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
hanger adjustment is always my #1 go to with shifting issues.. 10 and 11 speed are even more finicky about it as everything is closer tolerances and it needs to be near perfect to get a clean smooth shift. having it work well in one section and not another is a key tell that the hanger is lightly tweaked.. get the tool.. check it regularly.. your drive train will not only shift better but last longer too. It'll pay for it's self in a yr or 2 off issues/shop visits.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Thomllama. I have the tool and gave the hanger a quick tweak for lateral straightness, but that may not have been enough. I am going to have to pay a quick visit to the Park site to see how to use the tool properly. Or just buy another hanger...

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Thanks, Thomllama. I have the tool and gave the hanger a quick tweak for lateral straightness, but that may not have been enough. I am going to have to pay a quick visit to the Park site to see how to use the tool properly. Or just buy another hanger...
new hanger won't always help.. often times if the hanger is bent the frame gets mildly tweaked along with it.. add a new hanger and it's still out.. use the tool.. fine tune the hanger.. rider better!!

you check off the rim.. make sure the wheel is 100% set in the drop outs.. (esp if quick release, can tell ya how many times I've fixed bad shifting and brake issues just by setting the wheel in the drop outs.. weight the frame by leaning over the seat when tightening QR lever)

when using the alignment tool make sure you spin the wheel and always check off the same spot on the rim.. use the label or stem as a spot so if there is even a slight wobble in the rim is won't screw with the hanger alignment.

check multiple points.. do diagonals as well as front/back/top/bottom as you can get a better idea where it has to go and have to stress it less. Don't try and do it all at once, especially the 1st time you are doing it, take your time..

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Latest update: Checked the hanger alignment and it was definitely out. Decided to replace the hanger as well as installing a new shifter cable. Had to make some adjustments on the first ride, as the new cable was bedding in, but seems much better overall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts