Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
29er specific versions of these components, of course.

How are people running this set up? Currently, the right hand brake is forced to sit so far inboard that the lever can't be reached without sliding your hand in. Is it possible to buy a shorter stationary grip section for the right side grip? Is there a solution I'm not thinking of to allow me to run this combination?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
yes, there are shorter grips or you can cut the stationary grip as short as you like, but I don't see how that's going to solve your problem.

If you look at the guts of the shifter, there's no reason the moving part has to be as big as it is, but you can't cut it down because the clips that hold the whole thing together are on the outboard side. The lever on shimano brakes is just a little too short to work well with grip shift IMO. Personally I don't like grip shift enough to compromise brakes for it.

·
This place needs an enema
15,722 Posts
29er specific versions of these components, of course.

How are people running this set up? Currently, the right hand brake is forced to sit so far inboard that the lever can't be reached without sliding your hand in. Is it possible to buy a shorter stationary grip section for the right side grip? Is there a solution I'm not thinking of to allow me to run this combination?
There are longer levers available for your XT's. Read about 'em on the innernetz. Can't remember where to get 'em, only that they do exist, and will solve this issue.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are longer levers available for your XT's. Read about 'em on the innernetz. Can't remember where to get 'em, only that they do exist, and will solve this issue.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like it's not possible to just switch out the blades. Would have to buy entire new lever assemblies. Going to cut down the grips and see how things go. In the long run, I'm unlikely to compromise on brakes, either, but this is for my wife, so we'll see how she likes it.

·
This place needs an enema
15,722 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Looks like it's not possible to just switch out the blades. Would have to buy entire new lever assemblies. Going to cut down the grips and see how things go. In the long run, I'm unlikely to compromise on brakes, either, but this is for my wife, so we'll see how she likes it.
Shop next door just did this--replaced blades only--for exactly the same reason. Will try to get him to chime in.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shop next door just did this--replaced blades only--for exactly the same reason. Will try to get him to chime in.
That would be awesome. The levers are $70 each, which seems steep given that you can get the whole shebang for $110 (with the short levers).

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Realized last night that there's a full length plastic housing inside the grip which makes cutting it down more annoying than it probably should be. Starting to regret this quest for super-clean handlebars.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I had the same issue with my SLX brakes and my X0 grips. (Can't stand triggers, so I switched to X0's). I figured the lever would be too short, and it was

Sold SLX brakes and got a set of Hope's. They add that 1 finger's width extra that I needed.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
I loved my Gripshift on my 9 spd.....went 10 spd and knew this was gonna be an issue. Ended up going with the trigger shifter. Not a fan, but at least I can run the XT brakes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd try a shorter grip first. IMO the length of the standard grip they include with the xx1 gripshift is insane.

I have relatively small hands. I run a short stationary 'grip' (actually use bar tape as it's cheap, light, effective and lets me go any length and thickness I want). Total length of my stationary grip + the gripshift grip is the same as a normal grip. I ride with my thumb and forefinger on the gripshift, and the rest of my hand on the stationary grip. This lets me reach the brake lever comfortably (for single finger braking) and shift easily, without having to move my hand around. I've had no issues with accidental shifts with this setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd try a shorter grip first. IMO the length of the standard grip they include with the xx1 gripshift is insane.

I have relatively small hands. I run a short stationary 'grip' (actually use bar tape as it's cheap, light, effective and lets me go any length and thickness I want). Total length of my stationary grip + the gripshift grip is the same as a normal grip. I ride with my thumb and forefinger on the gripshift, and the rest of my hand on the stationary grip. This lets me reach the brake lever comfortably (for single finger braking) and shift easily, without having to move my hand around. I've had no issues with accidental shifts with this setup.
Totally agree about the length of the grip. I'm not sure what they had in mind there. I'm going to pick up a set of the short ODI grips and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
hillharman, I started out with the XX1 gripshift and Avid Elixir Carbon brakes, had the same issue as you are with the brake lever being too short. I was very surprised since I expected SRAM and AVID brakes to work well together.

I thought about looking for longer levers (and Avid levers are not that short), cutting down the grip, or some other solution. In the end I decided to go with the trigger shifter and sell the gripshifter. At the time I had other issues with the gripshift rattling and in general the gripshifter was not for me.

I later changed to the (most awesome) XT brakes and wondered if my experience would have been different had I started with XT brakes, but now it sounds like I would have had the same problems.

Good luck with your search for a fix, it's still surprising to me that SRAM did not come up with a better design to allow the brake levers to be mounted in the same location as with standard grips but oh well, I'm happy with the XX1 trigger, it's probably the best trigger shifter I've ever used.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hillharman, I started out with the XX1 gripshift and Avid Elixir Carbon brakes, had the same issue as you are with the brake lever being too short. I was very surprised since I expected SRAM and AVID brakes to work well together.

I thought about looking for longer levers (and Avid levers are not that short), cutting down the grip, or some other solution. In the end I decided to go with the trigger shifter and sell the gripshifter. At the time I had other issues with the gripshift rattling and in general the gripshifter was not for me.

I later changed to the (most awesome) XT brakes and wondered if my experience would have been different had I started with XT brakes, but now it sounds like I would have had the same problems.

Good luck with your search for a fix, it's still surprising to me that SRAM did not come up with a better design to allow the brake levers to be mounted in the same location as with standard grips but oh well, I'm happy with the XX1 trigger, it's probably the best trigger shifter I've ever used.
Like you, I consider XT brakes to be brake nirvana, especially at ~$220 for the set. I'm very hesitant about screwing with them.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Here's what I found on mine. This was pretty much a normal descending hand position. I had my hand a little too far out on the Hope's, but those Shimano brake levers are SHORT.
I don't see how shortening up the grips will change anything, the issue is the length of the shifter, not the grip.

Finger on SLX.jpg

Finger on hope.jpg

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's what I found on mine. This was pretty much a normal descending hand position. I had my hand a little too far out on the Hope's, but those Shimano brake levers are SHORT.
I don't see how shortening up the grips will change anything, the issue is the length of the shifter, not the grip.

View attachment 882805

View attachment 882804
With the stock grips, the brake is pushed so far inboard that I have to shift my hand in 1-2" in order to reach it. I'm ok with riding with my hand on the shift portion, but I'm not okay with 30mm of bar sticking out for no reason. If I shorten the stationary portion, I can move everything outboard. It looks like all of the grip shift grips are 90mm, though. The stock one is not amenable to shortening without major surgery, and now I'm worried it will be the same with the ODIs I've purchased. I'd like to maintain lockon functionality if possible.

·
B.Ike
1,206 Posts
I agree that the stock grip is too long, but when I went shorter I'd get accidental shifting during ruff stuff. I too eventually had to give up grip shift in order to get the most out of xt brakes.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I see, so you are more talking about the physical location of the lever in regards to the end of the bars.

I took this as only about the ability to reach the lever from a normal riding position, but the location of the assembly on the bars as not the issue.

As on my pictures there, as I would ride it, my finger would not get onto the SLX brake lever in a safe way. Whether or not the brakes were too far in from the end of the bar was not a big deal. The issue was ability to reach the lever properly.

Now I understand what you were talking about however.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts