Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New bike has SLX 12 spd drive train. Want to put my e13 crankset on but they recommend SRAM chains. Am I asking for trouble not using a hyperglide chain?

Thanks in advance.

·
RAKC
7,570 Posts
Change the chainring if it's a problem. I know there is an issues with new 12s chains, dont remember which brand did something stupid with the link that causes issues on some rings.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2 new chains, new rings and drivetrains. Cheaper to just
put the appropriate chain on.😏
Found another thread saying use an Eagle master link on the Shimano 12 spd chain if using a non Shimano ring so I'll grab one of those.

Other dilemma is can I use an XO1 Eagle cassette and chain with the Shimano drivetrain?

·
Registered
194 Posts
What cassette is on your bike currently? If it is the SLX 12 speed cassette, then you have a Microspline freehub. Meaning your e-Thirteen cassette won't fit, nor will any Eagle cassette.

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have both cassettes....

What cassette is on your bike currently? If it is the SLX 12 speed cassette, then you have a Microspline freehub. Meaning your e-Thirteen cassette won't fit, nor will any Eagle cassette.
Brand new bike on order has SLX 12 spd. Yes micro hub, hyperglide etc. 2nd relatively new drivetrain on current bike is SRAM Eagle
XX1 shifter/XO1 cassette/XX1 chain/GX der/e13 carbon cranks & TRS+ race wheels. Have an e13 microspline driver sitting in will call.

I want to at least use my e13 crank/wheels on new bike, swapping over the new stock wheels/tires and crankset from new bike to the one I'm selling. Which means that will have the SLX cassette on it but the SRAM drivetrain(thinking it will be a better selling point for that bike. Buyer can upgrade the wheels or not). Leaving me with the XO1 cassette on my wheels for the new bike, that is if I can run that cassette with the SLX drivetrain. If not I'll buy the e13 driver and get a new XT cassette for my wheel and stay all Shimano on the new bike. Glitches are I'll be running a Shimano chain on the e13 front ring which from what I researched they recommend SRAM, which I purchased and been using for a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would stick with all Shimano, but you can run the eagle chain and cassette with the SLX shifter and derailleur.
I thought the new e thirteen chainwheel tooth profile worked fine with HG+, but I don't have any experience with them.

·
NedwannaB
12,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That seems to be the recommendations to stick with all Shimano. Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
While I was waiting for my driver, I ran XT chain, derailleur, and shifter with an Eagle chain and cassette. Worked just fine.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts