Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be happening more regularly now (twice on each of my last two rides) that I'm losing the chain off the front chain ring when descending fast down trails with significant brake bumps/holes and roots on my Santa Cruz Bronson, while running in a high gear so I can get the power down (while the chain is still engaged anyway!).

Not sure if maybe the chain needs replacing, or whether I need to get a small chain guide on there...?

For anyone running a chain guide on their XX1 or X01, what do you have and are you happy with it?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I run a MRP 1X on my 1X9 which works well holding chain on with regular ring and mech. Since I still get chain slap maybe the
MRP Lopes SL, with the same top guide as 1X but with full retention on bottom which tensions the chain, would be better choice for regular rings and mech.

My 1x10 has Wolf Tooth ring with the SRAM tooth design and type 2 mech. Chain slap not an issue with type 2. Chain has come off only once in 2 years during exceptionally muddy ride after slide out crash, drive side down, and abrupt bump into tree. But never pedaling or even coasting fast on hard rocky downhills. So guide not strictly necessary. But if I raced, I would definitely install MRP 1X for insurance, as dropped chain during race is fatal.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've done a bit of research and I think the MRP AMG might be what I'm after.

Might take a look a the rear derailleur and check it's all functioning as it's meant to.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Hey dwt, I'm not sure if you were implying that the op pick up a clutched r.d. The xx1 is a clutched derailleur, just like the x0 type 2. If not sorry please ignore

Op, are you sure your clutch is functioning properly? When you manually try to push the cage forward, do you get significant resistance? Do you have too much slack in your chain?

Chain dropping on clutched derailleurs, even in high gears, is reeealy rare. Twice in close succession, seems like something is off.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Op, are you sure your clutch is functioning properly? When you manually try to push the cage forward, do you get significant resistance? Do you have too much slack in your chain?

Chain dropping on clutched derailleurs, even in high gears, is reeealy rare. Twice in close succession, seems like something is off.
I think the clutch is working okay. I'm going to get the MRP chain guide and stick a new chain on at the same time.

If I still have issues after that I'll see about pulling the rear derailleur apart (or replacing it). My XX1 groupset has around 1,000 miles on it now.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,836 Posts
I think the clutch is working okay. I'm going to get the MRP chain guide and stick a new chain on at the same time.

If I still have issues after that I'll see about pulling the rear derailleur apart (or replacing it). My XX1 groupset has around 1,000 miles on it now.
Good call. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've hammered my AMg for over a year without any issues. And by hammered I mean slammed the taco lots of times and ridden porcupine rim, angelfire, sedona, etc. with a broken clutch and zero drops. They make it in carbon, too. May have to upgrade

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had the MRP AMG on for a few rides now and it's all good, no dropped chains :)

·
bad reputation
463 Posts
Hey Glenn,

I think I was riding with you on one of your chain drops! I've had a few drops on my X01 Mach 6 now (same UCSC area.) Since I'm doing a few Enduro races I'm thinking a guide is a good call, but don't really want the bash guard part. Was thinking about the DM version of MRP 1X but it says for 1x9 or 1x10, not sure if it handles 1x11... It also says for short travel XC bikes. The Lopes SL looks nice but reviews say the plastic breaks regularly. Anybody try anything else out there...EINFACHX Guide maybe? Frame has Front DM mount and ISCG05 options.

·
Registered
975 Posts
When the front ring gets worn down, you can get some chain drops. The "flawless retention" is only with a very new front ring.

I got the EINGACHX guide myself. $40 on eBay and it's been great.

-Tom

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Glenn,

I think I was riding with you on one of your chain drops! I've had a few drops on my X01 Mach 6 now (same UCSC area.) Since I'm doing a few Enduro races I'm thinking a guide is a good call, but don't really want the bash guard part. Was thinking about the DM version of MRP 1X but it says for 1x9 or 1x10, not sure if it handles 1x11... It also says for short travel XC bikes. The Lopes SL looks nice but reviews say the plastic breaks regularly. Anybody try anything else out there...EINFACHX Guide maybe? Frame has Front DM mount and ISCG05 options.
Hi James, yes the chain drop is pretty frustrating. Been much better since the install of the MRP AMG. I've also just changed the rear shock for a Cane Creek to try and cope with some of the bumpy stuff better.

When the front ring gets worn down, you can get some chain drops. The "flawless retention" is only with a very new front ring.

-Tom
Interestingly I was reading more about this last night in relation to a grinding noise which I think is from the coating having worn off the front ring. Might be time for a new one of those too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts