Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I just pulled my 168q XX1 cranks off of my 2013 Felt Edict 9 and installed them on my 2014 Felt Edict 9. Both frames use a standard 73mm bb shell. I reused the Sram bb with no spacers (per instructions) but the 34t chainring is extremely close to the chain stay. Like so close, I think a 36t ring would hit.

Whats up with that? Can I use a spacer on the drive side, even though the bb instructions say not too?

FYI, the rear on the new frame is 142mm, the old one is 135mm. But Felt specs the 2014 Edict 9 FRD with XX1. Same frame dimensions as far as I know.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Alignment on a GPX crank is done with the non-drive side. If you have no spacers on the non-drive side then I don't see any way to move the drive side out more.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Can't help with your question, although if it does not touch the frame when pedaling I would say its good to go.

I would like to know how close the crank arms come to the chainstays though, and if you think a 156Q XX1 crank would fit? I know they spec with 168Q, but my knees prefer the narrower Q.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The frame manufacturer will have specs I think on what Q factor will fit - or at least it has become more common on the top level bikes with the advent of variable narrow Q cranks and wider rear ends.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey Mike, Felt said that both Q factors would be fine on my 2013 Edict 9. I've since upgraded to the 2014 frameset. I'm pretty sure you'd be fine with the 156q, but I'll double check when I get home. But remember, you won't be able to run a ring bigger than 34, and even 34 looks a little sketchy, but so far so good.

On a side note: I didn't have any chainring clearance issues on the 2013 frame.
2013-135mm rear
2014-142mm rear

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for posting these. That is reassuring. I am going to go to a felt demo next week to try the new edicts. It's hard to find a 29er full suspension frame that can fit the 156mm cranks.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts