Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend on mine just got in 2 sets of xx1 cranks and according to the directions and what his older xo cranks look like it looks like the pre-load adjuster is made backwards. The lbs is guessing that they redesigned it but man it just doesn't seem right. Any opinions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
Hopefully this pic will make sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Does seem kind of backwards but I assume the threads would run against the bearing ID which spins with the spindle - less friction?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had the same question on my new XX1 crankset (which seems counter intuitive) but followed the installation instructions and have no play in the crank arms. The new installation also instructs you to tap the crank arm with a mallet to "set the bearing" which seamed weird.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the same question on my new XX1 crankset (which seems counter intuitive) but followed the installation instructions and have no play in the crank arms. The new installation also instructs you to tap the crank arm with a mallet to "set the bearing" which seamed weird.
His instructions actually show it as different than what came out of the box. In other words we had to spin the pre load adjuster opposite of what the instructions say to tighten in.

·
Registered
270 Posts
His instructions actually show it as different than what came out of the box. In other words we had to spin the pre load adjuster opposite of what the instructions say to tighten in.
Did you ever get this issue sorted out / confirmed that the new style works as you described above? I just spent an inordinate amount of time monkeying around with my XX1 crankset and after over an hour of trial an error concluded that the new pre load mechanism will only work as described in your "New Style" diagram above. Just seemed strange that the pre load adjuster ring would stay flush to the crank arm and push the threaded sleeve it sits on in towards the bearing for pre load. I tried flipping the mechanism around but that caused interference issue with the PF 30 bearing cup. The fact that Sram does not have revised / clear instructions in support of the new design sure as hell didn't help things. Wished I had re visited this thread before I decide to flush and lube my BB .... would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts