Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I ride a C'dale 29er in a 2x9 setup (Cannondale Hollowgram SI cranks)

I have ordered a SC Tallboy, and am hoping to go with 2 chainrings in the front.

I've ordered an XX crankset (166 Q-factor for appropriate clearance) and the chainrings are okay according to SC for clearance (the 39/26 setup).

However, I didn't have QUITE enough $$$ to go full XX, so I'm hoping to run XO rear, XO twist shifters. I have an XX front derailleur and an X9 front derailleur from other projects to cover my front derailleur bases.

Here's my question--can I run a XX crankset with a 9-speed drivetrain (XO rear, XO twist shifters)?

I asked my LBS and three online retailers (big, reputable ones) and here are their answers:

1. Yes, no problem, if you use an XX front derailleur
2. No, can't do it. You have to go XX all the way.
3. Yes, no problem, although you might have to play with your front derailleur to adjust the stops (makes sense)
4. No, don't even try it.

So, hoping you have some input here--thanks in advance for your help!!!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Yes you can, your using X.0 twist shifters so you can micro adjust the front derailleur so you shouldn't need to use a XX front derailleur...though it might work better with the XX.

As far as a chain, you can use a 10 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette, no problem so that is what I recommend you use.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The XX is just another 2x9 crankset, but with chainrings that will accept a 10sp chain.

If you use the XX FD then you will have perhaps the best front shift known to man (as the two are designed specifically for each other), but there is no issue with using any other FD at all. Lets face it, the FD moves out with more cable tension, and in with less - they're all working on the same cable pull ratio (shimano and Sram F are completely compatible). Twist shifters also make 'compatibility' issues redundant. If it doesn't quite shift, then just twist a little further.

With a 3x FD you will need to adjust the limit screws, as the twist shifters will want to shift too far one way or the other, but otherwise that is a setup that has been used by myself and others with perfect success.

Many in the WW forum (and myself included) run 2x9 with a road FD (dura-ace usually). If the bike is bottom pull then there are no mods needed. If the cable pulls from the top, then you need an adaptor made by Speen (german company). Do a search in the WW forum if this method appeals to you in the future.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I recently talked to my LBS (the Path) about using a Sram XX FD on a 2x9. They too said they have not successfully mated XX with non XX parts. However like AlexRandall is saying the FD simply moves based on input controlled by limits. I would be very surprised if the XX FD didn't work. Unfortunately, despite knowing how to tune my own bike what common sense says about a FD, I went with a Shimano SLX M667 FD for my own 2x9 setup.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm going to try the XX front crank, XX front derailleur with XO twisties. I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best with the XO 9 speed rear, but from what I'm hearing here, it should work just fine!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interesting tread,

What if i use a XX crank with shimano E type front shifter, and X9 twister shifter. My bike is design to run E type shifter unfortunatly.

Would a 9 speeds chain be stronger than a 10 speeds? XX crank will work with 9 speeds chain right?

At first i was plannig in buying rotor our any other 2X9 crank conversion.

Why XX instead of other 2X9 cranks? If to run with 9 speeds rear cogs.

thanks,

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am running an x.7 26/39 with an otherwise 9-speed drivetrain. Bottom line: it works flawlessly. I can't see any reason an XX crank would perform any differently. With only modest mechanical ability, I installed and adjusted everything myself.

As mentioned earlier in this thread a micro-adjust (ratcheting) twist-shifter is preferable.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have:
X0 twists
XX crank
XX f.der
X9 rear der
10s dura ace chain

and it works a treat. highly recommend the XX FD, and ditching the 9 speed chain. shifting is almost better than Red with XX crank and f.der!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am running a XX FD with Middleburn Duo 29x40, 108 BB, 9 speed XO twist shifters and RD, XTR cogset with Action Tec 36 and 12 tooths cogs and Sram 10 speed 1090 chain and it all works perfectly together. And it is on a full suspension. If I can get this combination of different manufacturers to work together I think just about anything will work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.