Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On tonights edition a 2001 Ventana La Bruja gets a Headtube Lift, Fork Augmentation and sleeker wheels, NEXT on MTBR.......

Ok, seriously though, the hardest part about taking all those pics last month (Ventana Booth Preview) was realizing that I couldn't afford a new frame this year, that and I really had no reason to retire my main rides yet. So I did the next best thing and decided it was time to make over my La Bruja. My Salty had gotten a makeover, late last year with the new Reba and then the Hope XC/819 wheelset so I knew the Bruja would benefit from a similar change.

So the Calls (emails) went out Larry @ Mtn High and Chad @ Red Barn. (Spreading the love around :))

And both guys were just awesome to work with, both in their deep knowledge of parts and the just plain great guys to talk to. I did make one mistake in this whole process and that was talking to FoShizzle, who apparently lent me his schitzo decision changing power for weekend that found me calling Larry what seemed like half a dozen times changing my fork choice. Sorry about that Larry!

In the end the orders where:
From "Dr." Larry Mettler:
Fork Augmentation - '07 Lyrik Solo Air 160mm travel 35mm stancions.
Head Tube Lift - Chris King Headset - Black
Brake improvements - 160mm V-Cut Hayes Rotor

From "Dr." Chad DeVall
Wheel Enhancement - Hope Bulb Front, HopeXC Rear Dt Comp Spokes and DT Swiss 5.1D's
Bling Enhancement - Matching Hoping QR Rear and 9mm QR Conv, Kit for the days I want to run the big Wheels and tires on my Salty.

Work Done by Others:
(Pricepoint- bought right after Mammoth but sitting on Work Bench)
Sram X-9 Grip Shifters, X-9 Rear Derailler, SRAM 980 11-34 Cogset and 961(?) Chain.
And Easton EA50 Low Rise Bar.

First the Before Pic.....
Work in Progress Shot..
The Hope front...
The Hope Rear....
And of course a little bit of Carbon since no bike is complete with out Carbon bits these days!

Attachments

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
And Now for the Final Reveal...

Ladies and Gentleman, 2001 La Bruja V2:

Side views with X-9 Bits!

Final Numbers: 68 Head, 72 Seat angles, 14.9" BB ~ 34.2 lbs. (Still need to confirm this though)

Again many thanks to Larry and Chad for the awesome CS and great prices.

Now I need to get some pictures during the day, as good as the bike looks at 2:15am in front of my house it should look a whole lot better in some sunshine.!

Attachments

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
wow! that looks killer!!!! SO MUCH BETTER than before, and no doubt will ride killer too, though looks are more important.

I know I peer pressured you into buying a better fork from Larry but you gotta admit, your other choice would have paled in comparison.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah no Doubt:yesnod:, but actually it was RockShox themselves that pushed us away from the Domain. They told us it would not be able to be sprung correctly for my weight. BUT, your peer pressure got me to think Lyrik before we heard from them and I was already prepared to go further in debt to get the appropriate fork.

And in just a brief parking lot ride last night, the fork is SOOOO plush, really linear. The damping adjustments make huge differences. Having seperate low and fast compression setting is sweet. I can completely elimanate brake dive if I want to.

I couldn't feel any inbalance between the air front and the coilover rear.

Now, where your peer pressure really got to me was the wheels. Still though, your "budget wheels" are my "Bling Bling"!!!! I needed tongs and a protective suit to handle my credit card just trying to keep up with your "budget" build. At least I know I have you beat on one thing: Ventana Frame. :devil:

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Sweeeet...... it looks great ! :thumbsup: Oh wow an est. 34.2 lbs ........... you win the heavyweight weenie contest , I thought mine was light at 00.03lb under 36 lbs ! :D No doubt you'll be entering it in more xc events and then kick ars at Mammoth ! TIG.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL! Yeah it will become my new race bike for the Local series at Prairie City. Ala Internal14!

34.2 Just doesn't seem right to me though, it seems too light. But, then again almost every part I replaced ended up being lighter, not by intention mind you just worked out that way.

You know what this means right? My heaviest bike is a whopping 14.5% of my body weight!
It would take a 23lbs bike for a 165lbs rider to match that!:cool:

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,777 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
LOL! Yeah it will become my new race bike for the Local series at Prairie City. Ala Internal14!

34.2 Just doesn't seem right to me though, it seems too light. But, then again almost every part I replaced ended up being lighter, not by intention mind you just worked out that way.

You know what this means right? My heaviest bike is a whopping 14.5% of my body weight!
It would take a 23lbs bike for a 165lbs rider to match that!:cool:
I personally think you should've bought a Manitou but you did okay :thumbsup: You may be a clyde but I've seen you dish it out at PC. Now that you're Bruja has seen Jenny Criag you're good to go................:ihih:

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
sounds like all i gotta do then is gain weight to make my bikes lighter!!! sweet!

·
Registered
9,233 Posts
That bike looks great. The color is really nice and actually looks brighter than the regular Grinch Green. I wonder if it's a different green. Nice ride for sure!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Flyer said:
That bike looks great. The color is really nice and actually looks brighter than the regular Grinch Green. I wonder if it's a different green. Nice ride for sure!

nice job Aaron......man, that bike is sssooooooo friggin sweet. Sherwood was way ahead of his time with that model, i'm jealous. Please send it to me when you're finished with it ;)

have fun !

Chad

BTW....nice tires !

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
bb height

Ciclistagonzo said:
Ladies and Gentleman, 2001 La Bruja V2:

Side views with X-9 Bits!

Final Numbers: 68 Head, 72 Seat angles, 14.9" BB ~ 34.2 lbs. (Still need to confirm this though)

Again many thanks to Larry and Chad for the awesome CS and great prices.

Now I need to get some pictures during the day, as good as the bike looks at 2:15am in front of my house it should look a whole lot better in some sunshine.!
hey there,

as a fellow La Bruja owner i'm real interested in what you think of an almost 15" bb. i'd love to have a 68 head angle but was leary of that tall of a bb in getting it. for general trail riding anyway, i thought it might not cut it. i've got the 5.1's & i am betting you will like those plenty.

·
Registered
179 Posts
What are the bolts in the derailleur-side chainstay, just forward of the QR? it looks like they are also matched with a bolt behind and slightly above the QR? Is that a Santa Cruz style replaceable hanger? i've never moticed that on other Ventana frames?

K

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
Ciclistagonzo, as other have already said, sweet ride!

Upgrades always bring a smile to my face!

I hope you have great fun with it.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,678 Posts
kev said:
What are the bolts in the derailleur-side chainstay, just forward of the QR? it looks like they are also matched with a bolt behind and slightly above the QR? Is that a Santa Cruz style replaceable hanger? i've never moticed that on other Ventana frames?

K
That is a replacable dropout...but what's really cool abotu that feature is that you can adjust your chainstay length too. There are three settings. It may not seem like much but the bike does change quite a bit when you fool around with them. I tend to run mine all the way foreard all the time as it makes it a bit snappier coming out of corners. It just seems like the last 1/4 of the turn it rips it. Kinda like twisting the throttle while stuck in a nice deep rut on a mx bike. Braaaap!!:eek:
Lengthening it out for a day of N* wasn't that bad either, but I hardly ever felt the need to go all the way back with it.
Bad thing about being all the way foreward was trying to get your wheel in and out of the dropouts as the qr nut would hang up on the der. body.:madman:

Like Larry said, "This bike was way ahead of it's time."
And after almost six years I'm still loving my Bruja too!
Gotta say though I'm gonna either be getting a Terr. or a new Bruja come December...gotta have something new!

·
Registered
502 Posts
ummmm, yummy! Looks sweet. I really do love that grinch green.

I too have been considering some mods to my witch. How about a ride report on tha Lyric fork?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tire Size?

What size rubber on that rig? I wanted to go with 2.5 tubeless on my Ciclon but was restricted to 2.3 for weight issues.

Those tires look meaty enough.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wannabe_salty said:
What size rubber on that rig? I wanted to go with 2.5 tubeless on my Ciclon but was restricted to 2.3 for weight issues.

Those tires look meaty enough.
Those are 2.5" IRC TrailBears, Freedom Cross edition. (Japanese Made, Kevlar 120tpi)
730 grams each. Grip everything. Roll well.

-Aaron

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far only one ride in, on mostly xc stuff but liking it just fine. Running 30% Sag front and rear so the bike settles in about 13.5" actually BB height. I still feel like I'm centered and riding "in" the bike, I don't get the "on Top" feeling some folks talk about. Switching to the Bashguard and the taller front fork I rolled over a monster rock easily with out worrying about catching it. More rides this weekend, I'll put done a longer post about the handling and Lyrik then.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
Those are 2.5" IRC TrailBears, Freedom Cross edition. (Japanese Made, Kevlar 120tpi)
730 grams each. Grip everything. Roll well.

-Aaron

Geeze, even your tires are lighter than mine ! :D The Big Betty's ( which I'm using now ) are about 910 grams apiece ! The Kenda's were about the same in the 2.5 size if I remember right ! Can't complain though , I'm happy with the grip ! ;) TIG.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts