Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm really sold on this idea for a commuter/workhorse type bike. I've looked into a few different trailer designs and this jsut makes more sense to me. Both the load capacity, (and advertised as better for passengers,) and the handleing aspects seem to be better. Question is, they make a 700c version of the bike, but state that it is not 29 compatible. Is it just a clearance issue? Could it be solved using Martini's stay bending idea? Does anyone have pics of clearnces with 700c wheels? Thanks for the info,

Ben

http://www.xtracycle.com/index.php?cPath=4

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I suspect it is the height of the tire, not the width that is the issue. The XtraCycle frame looks plenty wide. I would bet the only difference between the 26" and 700c version is the brake boss location.
The FreeRadical (26") will accommodate up to 2.5" tires. The FreeRadical (700c) will accommodate all 700x35 tires and some 700x38 tires.
These max. tire sizes are basically the same diameter.

G

·
benwitt11 said:
I'm really sold on this idea for a commuter/workhorse type bike. I've looked into a few different trailer designs and this jsut makes more sense to me. Both the load capacity, (and advertised as better for passengers,) and the handleing aspects seem to be better. Question is, they make a 700c version of the bike, but state that it is not 29 compatible. Is it just a clearance issue? Could it be solved using Martini's stay bending idea? Does anyone have pics of clearnces with 700c wheels? Thanks for the info,

Ben

http://www.xtracycle.com/index.php?cPath=4
They are not even close I don't have any pictures and I sold mine but the biggest tire I could fit was a ritchey trail mix 700x40. I think they are designed more for a touring 700c the guys at xtracycle told me the only difference between the 26 and 700 versions were the brake placement. I don't think Matini's method will work the tire does also hit the top brace and there is not much to move on the bottom.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
My suggestion...

Talk to Walt (waltworks.com) and have him build you a dedicated workhorse 29er from the start. As in a no bolt on garbage, one piece frame. Stronger, stiffer and way cooler come to mind. The idea has a lot of merit.

How about building it with mongo clearance and disc brakes so you could run really big tires when they become avalable? This could become the ultimate expedition tourer.

29erchico

·
Full Tilt Boogie
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder if a small amount of frame modification would allow you to do it. It doesn't look overly complicated. With some careful planning and a bit more reinforcing, I don't think it would be that hard. I'm not sure. Finding close up pictures of the relavent parts is next to impossible, I don't really want to buy one just to see if it'd work.

A custom bike would have it's merits, though having this one essentially figured out seems to me to be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
benwitt11 said:
I wonder if a small amount of frame modification would allow you to do it. It doesn't look overly complicated. With some careful planning and a bit more reinforcing, I don't think it would be that hard. I'm not sure. Finding close up pictures of the relavent parts is next to impossible, I don't really want to buy one just to see if it'd work.

A custom bike would have it's merits, though having this one essentially figured out seems to me to be the way to go.
Adding 1.5" in every direction but down would be more than a small amount of modification.

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
I have a friend with an Extracycle I have ridden around some. He has a custom setup that will carry a whitewater kayak on one side and tons of gear on the other. Riding that thing loaded down was just plain scary to me. It reminded me a lot of the feeling you get when the captain and stoker get totally out of sink while standing on a tandem and start twisting the frame except the extracycle felt that way all the time. My friend rides it all over the place though and has no complaints although it is his only bike and he only uses it for shuttling the kayak around on mainly paved roads.Personally I’d rather pull a Bob trailer any day. I would highly recomend finding a way to try one with the type of load you want to cary before you put to much into it.

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
I have about 1000 miles on a 700c version of the Xtracycle hooked up to a Burley Runabout. There is no way to get a real 29er tire in the Xtra. The 26" and 700c models are the same frame with different canti boss positions. I have 700x35c Michelin Transworlds on mine and they will barely rub the snap deck when under heavy load. The problem is the height as Shig suggested.

You could have something like this made to work:
http://todd.cleverchimp.com/bike/xt/xtravois.html

FWIW I love my Xtracycle - I have hauled some fun stuff (including my wife) several miles. It's a fun bike to own and ride. I bought it to do my heavier commuting duties as well as for trail maintenance. For the trail work, I think a BOB works better, for heavy-loaded commuting, I do not think you can beat a Xtracycle.

A little Xtracycle picnic from this past summer.

LP

Attachments

·
Registered
981 Posts
Ha, I actually rode a season on the Camouflage version of those SweetSkinz tires. Not bad for a dual purpose road/fireroad/hardpack tire. They just too expensive for the lower level performance they offer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've got the 700c Xtracycle setup on an older KHS cyclocross frame. I'm running a 32mm cross tire. The tire has little clearance in the area where the Xtracycle bolts into the frame's dropouts. The Snap deck comes with little adapters to raise it up to cleat the tires.

I'd snap a pic, but alas Santa didn't bring me a digicam. I'll try to get a measurement tonight.

·
elbow gloves
221 Posts
tire height is the issue

I've got the 26er version with a set of spaced out, fixie road wheels connected to a nishiki road frame. The biggest tire can fit is a 38. Any larger and the tire rubs both the snapdeck and the rear brace that connects the two halfs of the xtracycle frame. I have always been interested in the idea of a dedicated custom xtracycle frame. I've run across a few just browsing around that are pretty nice.

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.