Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a new crankset for my XC racing bike (I race) and cant decide if it worth it to spend $250 extra on going XTR. According to shimanos comparison chart the only difference is that the middle ring is made out of "Ti / CFRP" instead of "steel + composite" and that the cranks arms are made of "forged ultra duraluminum / hollow type" instead of "forged aluminum / hollow type" (whatever that means) it translate into 80 gr (70 gr according to weight weenies).
Is there other "secret quality" on the XTR???? or they're about the same in perfomance because $ 250 could weight 80gr if you pay them with $ 10 bills.
Please feel free to recomend any other brand and model, I want to change my currents Race Face Turbine.

Bernardo

·
Registered
919 Posts
Other than the fact that they're "ultra" and the weight, the secret quality is bling. Keep in mind that the XTR rings are going to be stupid expensive any time you have to replace them. It looks like the small and middle may be interchangeable between XT-XTR, but the big ring will be XTR-specific. I'm still sore about my XTR 960 rings which are soft as warm cheese, and use a unique BCD.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Stick with XT. You can change the rings to Blackspire if you don't like the standard ones. The XT group set is where its at for all my race bikes.

·
What could go wrong ...
1,996 Posts
I just picked up a XT FC-M770 Crankset for $179 for my Canzo build. seems like they are going for $270 a lot of places and the LX Cranks are $159. Ive run XT Cranks for at least 10 years with no probs and yeah the chainrings are cheaper to replace. Save your money.

·
Still learning
876 Posts
The only reason I use XTR over XT is you can't get XTs in 172.5mm (or 177.5mm). Yeah, XTR are 100g or so lighter, but it's really not a reason I considered when getting them.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Zoke2 said:
I just picked up a XT FC-M770 Crankset for $179 for my Canzo build. seems like they are going for $270 a lot of places and the LX Cranks are $159.
Where'd you get that price? If I can get 180's for that I'll buy a set.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have had both.

The xtr 960 is the blingiest crankset ever, but a pain to replance rings on. I went with Black Spire rings and it works better.

I also have the XT 760 and 770 and I cant tell the difference in stiffness vs. the xtr. Actually the XT almost feel a bit stiffer vs. the xtr crank with xtr rings.

the xt stuff is the best stuff for racing. Do not sweat the extra 80g. I have seen people racing on LX crank arms (same weight as xt) and race face rings and pass people with full xtr stuff.

My vote is for XT. I would never spend the extra $$$$ on XTR. Not for cranksets. With your savings get a king headset or save for a King or I9 set of wheels. If you are sponsored, then you need to get what they give ya.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yip, XT cranks are the way to go, esp the 770. CRC is the place everyone should be getting their shimano from. Replacement chainrings are just too expensive for XTR, silly prices.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I come up with £100.10 ($199.55 at today's exchange) for the XT, shipped to Oregon. Not sure if they're going to get me for a conversion at my bank, but that's a good price. I also need a new DA cassette for my road bike, so I might have to put together an order. I'm sure I can get over $300 for the free shipping.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.