Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I ran Gore-Tex for years before it was pulled from the American markets. Then I switched to XTR. Now that Gore-Tex is back and $20.00 more expensive, I have not switched back. As far as a comparison, XTR runs well. Gore-Tex will shift better and lasts longer (assuming you install them correctly), but maybe not that much better for most people who are JRA. However, Gore-Tex is fantastic when conditions are wet and below freezing. With an XTR system, your shifting will freeze (no kidding you can't shift at all). This will not happen with Gore-Tex . . . you will still be able to shift.

But those "extras" from Gore-Tex may not be worth it, particularly if you are not riding in cold, wet conditions. Now if Gore-Tex was back at its original $40.00 price tag, I would be all over it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
i agree with pisgah, the gore system was smoother
but, i cant condone the cost any more, especially since the sp41 housing can be had real cheap on ebay

·
Banned
473 Posts
I prefer to use Jagwire L3 4MM line shifter housing with an XTR cable. My SJ FSR runs full length housing so sealing is not a big issue except at the F & R derailleurs.
Forgot to mention that L3 means "lightly lubed" similar to the XTR set.

·
the catalan connection
1,266 Posts
I kind of like both...

I´ve been using Gores for many years and liked them very much. Very smooth and a truly sealed system. But always thought that a new and fresh Shimano XTR housing and cable is hard to beat. There is also some "crispness" in the Shimanos that the Gores don´t have. The problem is that the performance drops too quickly, the sealing is poor... where the Gores keep smooth for waaaay longer thanks to its really good sealing.
The good part is that somehow you kan mix and match both and get the best of both worlds.
I got a set of XTR housings and SEALED it with some of the used Gores "bits".See pics.
Now they are really sealed. I´m on this set for over a year and as smooth as the first day.
Actually, besides the teflon coated cable, the XT cable set is the same as the XTR. It also comes with the "extended" housing ends that fit with the Gores boots and Sleeves.(if I remember well)
Note:A crucial part for a smooth Shimano housing is to remove the internal rings and seals that come built in the housing ends. These are crap. They catch all the grime and then they friction like hell. I always remove them before even installing the housing ! (see pics for a trick)
Hope it helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I have the Gore cables on one of my bikes. They do hold up very well in wet conditions. And I have found then around the web for as little as $35.
My only issue has been two broken rear deraileur cables. I think there is a flaw in the routing on XT Shadow RDs. The cable seems to wear on the housing. Both times I broke RD cables, Gore stepped up and warrantied them out. And not just a single cable. They gave me a complete new kit:thumbsup:

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
If you have downtube cable routing with the cables passing through the guide at the BB, the differences in friction and lever effort can be huge with the Gore cables. It would be a lot more subtle and maybe a toss up if you have top tube cable routing. For downtube routing I'm sold on the Gore despite the fussiness of the install and the extra expense. :thumbsup: On my bikes with TT routing, I'm not sure I'd make the investment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.