Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,
I tried a search and don't know the terms well enough to find an answer that probably exists.

I have had my 24 speed GT Zascar for about 25 years and used to use a rock ring for the top ring up front and now use the bike on and off road and wanted higher speeds for on road.

I still had the top ring and decided to support my local, long standing bike shop and have him tune the front derailleur. It seemed to be locked out so when pressed it wouldn't dump the chain for having had the rock ring.

After a few days he called to say it was done. I took it home, jumped on and the cable slipped first time I shifted it....rrrgh. Took it back and waited and he tightened it. This time I tried it at the shop and the chain wouldn't climb for the top ring. I asked what the deal was and he said it was broke. After reminding him why he had the bike in the first place, he said it may be missing a part that would allow it to go to all three positions. After 25 years I found the upper ring, no idea about the missing part??? (I think I had this done at a shop 25 years ago)

If you've read all this, thank you.

Finally the question, am I likely missing a part or can it be tuned to go to all three rings as it at one time did before the rock ring?

If I am missing a part, is it buyable or do I need to find another complete shifter assembly?

Thank you very much.
Rudy

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The factory internal grease can gum up and cause the ratchet/pawl internals to no longer engage, but that just leads to a "dead" feeling lever. Sounds like the mechanics there are the new breed that doesn't know how to adjust front derailleurs.

Agree with above. There is a "H" and "L" limit screw on the derailleur, and they need adjusted (mainly the high/H limit). Also, it is a good idea to have the barrel adjuster at the shifter turned most of the way back into the body (counter clockwise), cable pulled fairly taught in the lower/innermost position and then if it is close to the right amount of tension you will have room on the barrel adjuster to tweak it a bit. Many shops/mechanics will use the barrel adjuster to make ALL the tension adjustments, and that isn't the best practice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks buckets gentlemen Gummy grease was the culprit. Took me a minute ..ok an hour after I lost screws, lost parts...tuned etc but I have all 3 rings back happy and crisp!

Much thanks and praise.
Rudy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.