Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am installing the new rapidfire shifters.

All looks good, except the cable housing ends, one of the ends on each housing has a projection sticking out of it, oh 1/2inch. Since it does fit in the shifter, it must go on the cable stop end. The cable slides through it nicely. Is this right??

Also the kit includes some rubber ends (look alot like cable housing ends) also with the little projection sticking out, oh maybe a 1/4 inch. What are these for??

Maybe you pick one or the other.

Also the instruction do not say you crimp the cable housing ends onto the cable housings, but you do right?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thank you for the reference. This appears to be the same as the instructions they came with.

I did read it and could not find any reference to crimping or to the little tits and rubber things??

Anyway, off to curling now.

I'll check back later.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
jeffscott said:
I have attached two pictures of the cable housing ends and the rubber sleeves.

What are they for?
They are rubber seals to keep water and dirt out of the housing, slip them on the end of the ferrules.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have never crimped my ends on Shimano cables- how would that even work? It seems like the plastic ferrules would just break. Also, they press fit pretty snugly anyway. As far as the rubber seals just slide them over the extended plastic "tit" of the ferrule.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you.

My dilemma was if a try to pull of the cable housing ends on the original cable housings they will not come off, and appear to be crimped if every so lightly.

I almost put a touch of silicone glue on the cable housing ends ends, instead of crimping but didn't.
This would have been in case I had to fix something in the field and after wear, one of the housings might fall off??

Sooner or later I will screw up the courage to drill out the cable stops and go full length.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again thanks to all.

Everything is installed and working great,

I just wanted to add that the New XTR rapid fire shifters, have that thumb side release built in....

just like my old 1980's Bio pace stuff, what comes around goes around.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I use a clear flexible plastic tube between the ferrules like this:

Especially during the snowy/muddy periods, this set up seems to keep the grime out of the seat stay cables. Kind of like running a full length cable, I think. I had some old respirator tube for my in-laws, but I'm sure you can buy it at Home Depot.

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
yes you got it installed right, there seems to be a bit of silicone grease either in the housing on just on the ends, but with the longer ends and the tight fitting ferule end I dont think any grime will find its way into the housing, I've just installed them on my bike and they seem very smooth

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Chris130 said:
Cool. Homebrew Avid Flak Jackets!
I had Avid cable housing with plastic tubes several years ago - the red tube. But it was like a straw material, kinked and broke easily, especially in those fridged conditions. Not to mention it wasn't all that water tight. This respirator hose is very flexible, snag fits tight on to ferrules, and it's clear - you can tell when it needs to be changed. The circumference of the tube is wider than the cable wire, that it doesn’t result in any added friction. It's a cheap solution that actually works.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The inner circumference is 1.5 cm. Outer doesn’t matter. This is what it looks like:

Yeah, I should've cut that nose part off...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts