Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Go faster!
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hurray XTR shadow rear derailleur SUCKS! :madmax:

I got one thinking it would have the same quality as the previous XTR rear derailleur’s and it is a bit lighter BUT the xtr shadow is a real crap!

It has play out of the box! It doesn’t shift well despite all the efforts to adjust the gears, swapping chains, I even sanded down the stopping tab that makes the RD have a BIG angle and make the top pulley closer to the cassette but the problem continues! wtf is this? My previous XTR (970) that I had on the bike was shifting perfectly even after I crashed, landed on it and bent the RD hanger, it does not have any play and it's not bent!

This doesn’t seem like a top of the line shimano creation!

I will check the cable outers tomorrow but if it doesn’t get better the XTR shadow is out to the trash!

Anyone using the xtr shadow?

·
Registered
223 Posts
when u say doesnt shift well, is it not going up, down, ghost shifting ? this might be a start to solving the issue.... from my exp., shimano stuff just works :-( the only difference between xt/xtr is a bit of wt loss often at expense of durability, cost of course.

if its ghost shifting, its likely the cable that just need replacing to start with...and also check the hanger to ensure its spot on.

·
Go faster!
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has bad shifting performance. the shifting is slow going up or going down. when shifting up to lighter gears the chain starts on a grinding till it goes to place, the same thing happens when going down to heavier gears. If I adjust the cable to make the high gears enter more easily then it’s harder to shift to low gears and vice-versa.
I know my bikes and gears and this is not normal. something is not right and by now the only think not right is the derailleur.
tomorrow its the last chance for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
sergio_pt said:
I even sanded down the stopping tab that makes the RD have a BIG angle and make the top pulley closer to the cassette
I did the same things on my shadow too, half of the stopping tad was cut off....
It shift little bit better than before but the top pulley still too far from cassette.

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
Both my rides have XTR Shadow medium cages and they work flawlessly right out of the box. Heck, the one on my AM bike worked great even when the hanger was bent. Both have XTR cassettes. AM has a SRAM 991 and the WW has an X10sl.

·
bike rider
5,549 Posts
Mine has no play and works perfectly but I did have to remove some material to get the upper pully closer to the cassette. I use an 11-28T.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
same here...

Me too i swapped derailleurs on my winterbike coming from a really old XTR RD-M950 and didn't like the performance of the shadow out of the box. It worked but not as slick as the really old part before.

So after just about 2 months of use it got replaced by a tuned Dura Ace which does a better job at 40g less;)

What i really disliked is that you always have to grip the chain when taking off the wheels or when trying to put the wheel back in where on older XTRs you didn't get dirty hands. But with shadow you need to touch the dirty chain just like on SRAM derailleurs...not what i like-really:nono:

By the way: XTR 950 was 207g - shadow is 181g....that's only 26g lighter in 10 years - wow.

Needless to say my XTR shadow is for sale;)

·
bike rider
5,549 Posts
Regular Shimano derailleurs swing forward and bounce against the chainstay on a lot of frames. I can't stand that so I use Sram on all my 9 speed bikes (there's no ESP 8 speed shifter). I was stoked when Shimano basically copied Sram and made the Shadow cuz now my 8 speed bike doesn't have a clattering derailleur. The low profile is nice too when slipping between rocks.
The biggest thing I noticed when switching from an older XTR to the Shadow is that they used to make short, med, and long cages. Now they only make med and long. I had to add a link to my chain.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Lelandjt said:
Regular Shimano derailleurs swing forward and bounce against the chainstay on a lot of frames. I can't stand that so I use Sram on all my 9 speed bikes (there's no ESP 8 speed shifter). I was stoked when Shimano basically copied Sram and made the Shadow cuz now my 8 speed bike doesn't have a clattering derailleur. The low profile is nice too when slipping between rocks.
The biggest thing I noticed when switching from an older XTR to the Shadow is that they used to make short, med, and long cages. Now they only make med and long. I had to add a link to my chain.
sounds like you had a too long chain!?

if rocks etc are a problem short caged DA is the problem saver anyway!!

·
Weight Weenie Addict!
255 Posts
One thing I have noticed on the Shadow series is that the chain is wraped less on the cassette due to the shadow design. This could lead to bad shifting or jumping gears under power if you adjustment is not spot on or you have modifications or out of stock to your drivetrain.

·
Go faster!
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sonny said:
I did the same things on my shadow too, half of the stopping tad was cut off....
It shift little bit better than before but the top pulley still too far from cassette.
I shaved the tab completely; the stopping is done now on the b-screw.

I've checked the cables and cable outers the shifting is a little bit better but I'm still skeptical! :skep: On the lighter gear the der. is too much on the inside...

Tomorrow I'll swap to the previous XTR to do the final comparison, and probably wont take it off for anything else.

·
Go faster!
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jmartpr said:
One thing I have noticed on the Shadow series is that the chain is wraped less on the cassette due to the shadow design. This could lead to bad shifting or jumping gears under power if you adjustment is not spot on or you have modifications or out of stock to your drivetrain.
thats why I shaved the stopping tab near on the der. hanger has Sonny did too. The top pulley is closer to the cassete and the shifting gets a litle better, but its not 100%.

·
bike rider
5,549 Posts
Instead of shaving material from the tab on the hanger that the B screw hits try removing the big torx bolt and taking the pivot above the cable housing stop apart. Remove material from the stop here.

Nino, I don't get what you're saying. The derailleur hitting the chainstays isn't caused by a long chain and isn't solved by a short one. It's because the standard Shimano deailleurs can pivot forward at the B pivot allowing the c knuckle to hit the chainstays on some frames. Also, the increased clearence of the Shadow over the standard derailleurs is created by the different B knuckle and parallelogram. They stick out to the side less.
Again, my only quibble is that they don't come in a truely short cage.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Curmy said:
I do run a regular XTR,the "shadow" XT, and both give me zero troubles. I wonder if Shadow XTR is less stiff.
Don't get me wrong-i didn't have any problems but i think the old XTR worked slicker. But i really don't like the wheel-removal/installation with the shadow. On top of that XTR just get uglier and uglier. I really think those japanese designers should spend some time in italy to learn what good design is.

·
wafflemaster
119 Posts
I went from couple year old 952 shifters & derailleur to 970 equiv's (triggers w/ shadow rear) & think the older was crisper & took less effort. Never noticed the bouncing around thing. New stuff works fine but older was a milestone.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts