Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially i was disappointed to hear Shimano cancelled the Scylence freehub mech due to durability concerns. Then, with the release of XT/SLX, Bikerumor had a couple articles saying that the Scylence mech is largely intact in the production XTR hubs but that its configuration is different such that it softly whirs instead of being silent. From Shimano tech docs that I looked at, it does look like the Scylence mech.

Has anyone gotten the new FH-M9111 (or MT901) rear hub? How loud is it? Has anyone taken it apart?

I'm wondering if the spring could be reconfigured to push the drive plates apart such that they'd be Scylent?

·
Underskilled
4,832 Posts
Initially i was disappointed to hear Shimano cancelled the Scylence freehub mech due to durability concerns. Then, with the release of XT/SLX, Bikerumor had a couple articles saying that the Scylence mech is largely intact in the production XTR hubs but that its configuration is different such that it softly whirs instead of being silent. From Shimano tech docs that I looked at, it does look like the Scylence mech.

Has anyone gotten the new FH-M9111 (or MT901) rear hub? How loud is it? Has anyone taken it apart?

I'm wondering if the spring could be reconfigured to push the drive plates apart such that they'd be Scylent?
Subscribed

·
Underskilled
4,832 Posts

Subscribed

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have the FH-M9111-B hub. It isn't all that loud. And sometimes it is silent, so I can see it being basically the same thing with different spring setup. But I have not taken it apart.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello again,
sorry for the long delay... I finished my wheels and the FH-M91111-B is very quiet when coasting. Like brex17 says, sometimes it is silent. I can get this to happen sometimes spinning the wheel in my hands, the ratchet mech must still be able to completely disengage under some conditions.

Riding it have never felt any lag as iff the ratchet was held apart. The hub has worked great.

Mainly psyched that it is soooooo much quieter than the i9 Hydra that came on my bike.

The Shimano dealer service manual shows that the parts look very much like the Scylence mech. Didn't take it apart tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just built up my new bike with xtr scylence hubs. I have a similar experience: when I spin the wheel in my hand sometimes it will go completely silent.

In the stand and riding around the hub is very quiet but it has yet to actually go silent. I hope they're not defective. They are extremely smooth and seem to have virtually no drag though.

I have the boost model and they do not say "Scylence" on the hub shell. Is that normal?

·
Professional Noob
767 Posts
I just received my SLX microspline hub and it definitely seems like the technology is mostly there. If I spin the wheel in hand and pull outward on the free hub, the ratchets engage. If I press the free hub into the hub while spinning, it goes silent.

If the drive ring only needs to be pulled away from the receiver ring to be silent, why did they bag this idea? It’s so close!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The slx (and xt and xt) are silence hubs. They move the spring inside to push the ratchets together, instead of pushing them apart according to an interview with someone at shimano if im remembering right. You could in theory poke at it inside and make it back into a sylence hub. The reason they dropped it was because of wear. Going from silent to engagement was a harsh transition and wearing out the mechanism.

Something like that anyway... I have the slx hub too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.