Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
for three!
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone know the braking surface of the m970 shimano wheels? I can't find the info on their website or anywhere else, but judging by the pictures, it isn't ceramic. I could be wrong though, i'm just a man. Thanks dudes

·
Registered
96 Posts
Anyone have a XTR970 wheelset? I'm wondering how they would compare to a Chris King/mavic 717 ceramic wheelset and how well the rim breaking surface lasts compared to the ceramic coated Mavic 717. Also wondering if the Shimano XTR freehub problems have been sorted out. Any help in helping me decide which wheelset to get would be much appreciated!

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
I bought a second XTR disc wheelset this year and the freehub crunchiness has not made an appearance. I finally got a replacement for my original set's freehub that is crunch free as well.

Ceramic braking surfaces are most beneficial if you live someplace where the mud and grit cause very fast wear of uncoated rims. Really though, that's the point where discs give you a better bang for the buck anyway. You do have to use the ceramic rim specific brake pads as well.

I suspect that XTR stayed away from coating the rim to keep the weight down, and if you were racing using V-brakes you'd likely replace the rims every year anyway cause you're sponsored. I wouldn't think that the XTR 970 are the sort of wheels that have a 5 year life before the braking surfaces are getting thin. You'd likely want to stick with something like the Mavic 717 rims as they likely have a thicker braking surface. That's idle speculation on my part, I've never seen the the V-brake XTR wheels in person.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.