Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I don't understand. Shimano has been advertising the Race brake as a lighter version of the Trail brake. The Internet description of the products all support the notion that the Race brakes are a lot lighter. But is this true? Let's look at some weights.

All pictures credited to 2011 Shimano XTR - Actual Weights for Full Component Group - Bike Rumor

Rear Race Brake

Rear Trail Brake

Thats a (253g - 237g) = 15g weight difference for each side

It's already a minimal weight difference, and it puts Shimano's claim of a 60g weight saving of the Race brake system over the Trail to shame.

Lets not forget the the Trail version comes with the heavy finned pads whereas the Race version does not.

Race metallic pads

Trail finned metalic pads

Weight of fins: (16g - 5g) = 11g

Don't forget the Trail brake comes with a pair of the fins, so the total weight gain (of fins) for one side is 22g .

Minus-ing the weight gain we got originally for one side(15g) with the added weight of the pair of fins(22g), we realize that the trail version without the fins is actually an atonishing 7g lighter than the race.

This is with the added Servo-wave, free stroke etc functions of the levers.

Does anyone have weights of the Race and Trail brake versions of their own to confirm this finding?

·
The Cheater
552 Posts
I weighted mine both front + rear XTR Race to be 457gr exact prior to cutting the hoses upon installation. Weighted not using the red protection tabs. Do you have the weight for the Trail set?

·
Registered
87 Posts
we realize that the trail version without the fins is actually an atonishing 7g lighter than the race
correct if you mount races brakes pads on the XTR trail you will end up with 4x5g=20g of pads vs 4x16g=64g for the original.
44g gap on the pads makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
454 Posts
On the Bike Rumor link it looks like there is only a 16 gram difference between the rear Race brake and the rear Trail brake. However the difference in weight between the finned and non-finned pads is greater than this.

So are the trail brakes lighter (disregarding pads)?

It seems like it. I would love to see a picture of the Race brakes with the finned pads on a scale.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Have a set of XT brakes with finned pads and a set of XTR Trail brakes with finned pads. Weight difference for the front was 38g on the same scale.

Edit: And just realized I posted in answer to a question that wasn't ask. Someone may want to know though so leaving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.