Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth the extra cash to go XTR, besides bling..? anodized finish versus painted? and the puny 5-6 grams less?

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I dont think so, but I got my XTR FD at a swap meet for $40. If I had to buy one at normal prices, it would be an XT.

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
i got mine at ebay at a good price ... look for one that is lightly used ... was a bit sandy as you move the cage, just wash the sand out from in between the spring/coil, re-grease and it is now buttery smooth like new ... otherwise just go for the XT ...

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
XTR FD was the best upgrade I have made...

I replaced my FD (LX) with an XTR (952??) a couple of years ago, and it was the best drive train upgrade that I have made on my bike. At the time, I read the reviews on MTBR.com, and they pointed out that the XTR FD had some unique capabilities that were not available in the lower lines. Having said this though, with the typical trickle down effect, the newer XT may have the same features as the the older model that I purchased (its been long enough that I forget the specifics).

I would check out recent reviews on the XT & XTR FD's, paying attention to the model numbers, to see if there are still any differences other than weight & bling-factor. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
correct me if I am wrong.

I have never seen Shimano literature explicitly mentioned things such as "XT is more durable than XTR" or "XTR runs smoothest" etc.

wonder why Shimano isn't more specific so that it would be easier for all cyclists so that we can make an informed choice, rather than based on anecdotal...

·
Registered
149 Posts
correct me if I am wrong.

I have never seen Shimano literature explicitly mentioned things such as "XT is more durable than XTR" or "XTR runs smoothest" etc.

wonder why Shimano isn't more specific so that it would be easier for all cyclists so that we can make an informed choice, rather than based on anecdotal...
Although I'd never spend the money (because XT is great--and so is LX for that matter), I think Shimano has always been very vocal about their belief in XTR's superiority.

From shimano.com:

XTR. Three letters representing the pinnacle of mountain bike technology. Since its debut XTR has been the absolute standard for lightness, durability and performance. XTR is the benchmark by which all other off-road components are judged. And we've just moved it up again.

The new XTR isn't just a refinement of what's come before - it's an almost total overhaul that completely changes the riding experience. Ride with quicker, faster control and response, anywhere you want. Whether you're a cross-country racer, an all-mountain rider or just someone who wants the very best, new XTR is engineered for the way you ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Chain reaction cycles has some great prices on shimano parts. Just ordered the new XTR 972 RD for $132 and I think they are selling the XT 771 FD for $33. Shipping is kinda high but you will still come out good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
keep in mind that the older xtr 952 front derailleurs were designed around a 47.5mm chainline, the newer ones were designed to work in conjunciton with the lateset generation of 50mm outboard bearing cranks.
Personally, I'd take the 77 series XT over most of the past XTR as the springs are incredibly strong it it looks very well put together. I'm not a fan of the pivoting cage of the 960 xtr derailleur, so XT would be the way for me.

cheers,
adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.