Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an M960 crankset for a great price, but it is the 24-32-44 version. I would like to swap on either a 21 or 22 tooth inner chainring.

What are my options? I understand Moonhead and Boone both make such an item. Are any better than others? How will they work with the stock middle and outer chainrings?

Thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Keep in mind that the ramps & pins are lined up differently on the middle ring that goes with the 24 than the one that goes with the 22. I've got the opposite problem as you do - I'd prefer the 24, but I'm not willing to take the hit in shifting performance that would come with only replacing the small ring, nor am I willing to toss a perfectly good middle ring, so I'm just going to wait untill the rings need to be replace anyway then but the ones I want.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Middle and inner rings have to match up. 32-22 combo is "V".

If you want to be able to swop without worrying about this then you have to sacrifice a lot of shifting performance and get the hard wearing Middleburn hardcote slickshift XTR Chainring set.

·
Tall Bird Legged Rider
70 Posts
Will this help?

riverrat said:
I picked up an M960 crankset for a great price, but it is the 24-32-44 version. I would like to swap on either a 21 or 22 tooth inner chainring.

What are my options? I understand Moonhead and Boone both make such an item. Are any better than others? How will they work with the stock middle and outer chainrings?

Thanks.
I have been using the below ring all spring. The shifting is a little slower, but having this nice low gear is worth it.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=87387&query=retrieval

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,751 Posts
I find it hard to believe that using a 24 instead of a 22 or vise versa would have much of an effect on shifting.

The current ramps and pins business is for the birds anyway. A set of 3 perfectly flat rings shifts just fine plus you can turn them the other direction when they wear and get double the mileage!

·
members only
338 Posts
Shayne said:
...using a 24 instead of a 22 ... much of an effect on shifting...
I wouldn't think so either (Let's make sure we are talking all Shimano here)

Shayne said:
...current ramps and pins business is for the birds anyway. A set of 3 perfectly flat rings shifts just fine..
This I don't agree on. I have tried a bunch of different Mfg combinations, the ramps/pins do help with upshifting, having an all Shimano ring combo sees to shift the best out of anyone. Also, why would so many other manfactures also put ramps on their rings?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.