Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have a XTR M960 SGS derail. and I purchased a pair of SRAM 9.0 Half Pipe shifters on ebay--it was through an actual bike store and they were advertised as being Shimano compatible. Cool, I thought, they'll go with Shimano's 2:1 ratio, not the SRAM's ESP.

So I just installed them, and something's a bit off. I believe that they are ESP grips, and not Shimano compatible.
First, with the derail. in position over the granny gear (1rst) it reads in the shifter as 9th. So the gears are "reading" in reverse.
Second, I only go through 6 gears according to the shifter, when in fact I travel the full 1rst - 9th gears.
However, I don't know if there is a way to differentiate whether or not my shifters are ESP or not (I was under the assumption that the 9.0SL shifters were ESP, not my 9.0). But, they're not working, and putting together the drivetrain is the only thing keeping me from riding. Can you confirm that these are actually ESP shifters, because I see no way possible they can't be.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
SRAM numbering system

As far as I know, any of SRAMs products with a number in the name (9.0, 9.0SL, X9, X7, X0) is ESP and is the 1:1 cable pull ratio. The Shimano compatible shifters have names like "Rocket" or "Attack." It sounds like you got a pair of ESP shifters and they aren't compatible with your Shimano rear mech. You either need different shifters, or a different derailleur.

Nate

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help... my old bike had the Rockets with an M952 rear derail, so I'm familiar with the set up. Looks like I'll have a return in my hands...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.