Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to replace the chainrings on a pair of my xtr cranks and would like to skip the XTR chainring route. are there any alternatives, other then boone? do race face or xt chainrings fit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chilito said:
i'm looking to replace the chainrings on a pair of my xtr cranks and would like to skip the XTR chainring route. are there any alternatives, other then boone? do race face or xt chainrings fit?

Thanks.
have the same problem and just bought myself a set of ta chainrings, which are lighter than xtr and look better. Also i think middleburn also do chainrings to fit the new xtr crank but not sure about weight.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
they look worn...

carlos said:
U$190 for the set, and they look hot!
not hot at all besides the colour. the teeth look like they already have 10'000 miles on them;)
from what i remember they are also heavier than the stock XTR rings.

·
Registered
260 Posts
mpap89 said:
redrock how much more is it to get the tini coating?
Brett is trying to track down a company to do it for him but these were sent to another company for the coating. If you do a Google search for "TiN coating" you will find a few that can do it; however, its better to find another person to go in with you because most have a ~$250 minimum order.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Moonhead

hey guys do not diss what you do not know. I have a good number of rides on my set of Moonhead Rings and so far they are performing flawlessly. They look "worn" because of the special tooth profile which allows the side of the tooth that carries the chain to be wider than normal; it is only the backside of the tooth which is profiled differently than on other rings. They weigh less than XTR (I saved about 28 gm vs my worn stock rings). There are color choices including silver and the hardcoat (grey) which I have. So far they are holding up better than the OE XTR Rings, and the shifting is on par with the stock rings (which means perfect)

·
Registered
60 Posts
TA chainrings look beautiful, they are light but I found that they wore fairly quickly even though I changed the chain when I changed the chainring. The wear was on the lift ramps mostly and I don't shift a huge amount on the chainring. The TA rings also cost a fair bit. I'm running Raceface cranks so I'm not too sure about converting from XTR, but you could try Blackspire or Vuelta. The Blackspire worked for me, they look nice but weigh a little more than the TA rings.

By my understanding, you need to be armed with three things to find replacement chainrings from any manufacturer.
- the number of teeth you want on the chainring
- the number of bolts on your crank
- the Bolt Center Diameter (BCD)

The last on is the hardest but its not hard. If you have a five bolt pattern, measure the distance from the center of one bolt to the center of an adjacent bolt (in mm) then multiply by 1.7. That is your BCD. There is a different multiplier for four bolt patterns that I don't know but you could probably look it up or go into your LBS to find out.

BTW, I think the Moonhead cranks look hot. Thanks. I didn't know about them.

Oh, and I would recommend changing all chainrings at the same time - if you dare to mix and match your life will get yucky.

·
Registered
325 Posts
46 teeth on M960 XTR

Does anyone know if going to 46 teeth (like the old XTR) would be an issue with the 960 frnt derail.??? I still prefer the larger ring in front and say a 29 middle ring (no granny ring as I dont have monster hills in my area). I may go with Boone.

Let me know if this setup is working for anyone.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts