Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen this issue mentioned here and there on the internet -- the inboard seals will back out and get grimy and dirty. I've tried wiping them and pushing them back in. I've also tried greasing them up and pushing them in. Still they work out though less than before. Is there a fix? Maybe a rebuild kit with a new seal? I've searched and can't find any shimano updates.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I had mine warrantied by Shimano and 20 minutes into my first ride I had the same problem. Not sure if the newest production runs will have the same issues.

·
Magically Delicious
12,131 Posts
^^^ I would think it's little more than over lubricated on assembly. Common when I lube the Shimano SPD's, to inject a bit too much grease and it forces out when assembling the pedal on the spindle. It has to pass through and past the seal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just went with a ghetto solution

I used a couple of tiny zip ties tightly attached to the axle, almost rubbing the nut that attaches the pedal body to the axle... since then... the seal never back out again...

Simple and effective and definitely not ideal 😂

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had mine warrantied by Shimano and 20 minutes into my first ride I had the same problem. Not sure if the newest production runs will have the same issues.
This happened to me after 20mi and Shimano did not warranty repair/replace for me. Horrible quality and customer service. Luckily my LBS replaced for me as a one time courtesy. Looks like left pedal seal on new set is already popping out even before ride.

·
Magically Delicious
12,131 Posts
The seal is not really the problem. In my opinion, the spindle needs a more defined groove or lip to prevent the seal from migrating out of the pedal Lock Bolt (2). The red circle is showing the seal groove.

My experience with both the XT and XTR is if only trying to push the seal back into the pedal body, I can not seem to get it fully engaged in the Lock Bolt or in the spindle seal groove. However, If I remove the spindle from the pedal, I can successfully get the seal to seat in the seal groove. This might not be a long term fix, but it does work better than just attempting to push seal back into pedal.

Fortunately, this is an easy enough repair that you can kill two birds with one stone by servicing the pedal while disassembled. The bottom line is that we should not have to do this and Shimano needs to find a design fix to better retain the seal within the pedal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is there a location to buy a spindle set? I've seen them before but I can't find them now. I think I've burned through my spindles after about a year of riding. Crazy that shimano released a product like this. I've seen my buddies XT seals over the same time never move. I've taken them apart, cleaned and regreased them to get the grit out plenty of times but it seems they get more and more play as time goes on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How do you "burn through a spindle"?

Pedal play is easily adjusted. I perform this with each service. It's nothing more than a cup and cone just like the Shimano hubs.
Where I live it is super dry and dusty. Dust gets into everything.. and with the seals constantly backing out it's like sand paper grease inside my pedals. I've removed the play many times. It's honestly quite annoying how often they have to be fully disassembled to remove old gease, reassemble and pack new grease. I'm talking full disassembly of the spindle where each individual ball bearing is cleaned. For them being XTR and $180, a seal should not be backing out. Period. My left pedal, no matter what is done.. it still has has play and has a grindy feeling. My guess after 2k miles on them that the ball bearings have worn down in size and it's impossible to remove the play. This wouldn't happen with seals that stay put.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts