Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was gifted a Shimano XTR Wheelset (WH-M975). The front hub is grinding so I took it apart and found that the left side cup and cone are pitted. The captured ball bearing feel fine. I tried taking a Dremel wire brush to remove the pits, but that didn't help. I used Park poly grease, but still gets a grind. Is it possible to replace the captured ball bearings with a sealed cartridge? If so recommendations and links would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
No. Well, not easily anyway. I'm sure its actually possible if you can find a machine shop to machine out the hubshell and if theres enough material there. And then find an axle to fit. But finding all that and the labor it would take would easily out cost a replacement hub.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
If it's not too bad I've heard packing the bearings with toothpaste and spinning the axle with a drill can help polish it back...
Okay, serious question: if you're going to do that, why not just use lapping compound?

To the OP: you cannot (easily) adapt a cup-and-cone hub to cartridge bearings...though as a poster above alluded to, you could do it with enough machining skills/equipment (which I will assume you don't have, since you asked).

You COULD--theoretically--remove the damaged cup from the hub; it would need to be frozen as cold as you could get it, fixtured in a press, then have the hubshell heated with a torch/heat gun; while heated, but the race still cold, you would apply the press to the race using an appropriate drift to drive it out of the shell. A suitable donor would need to be found, removed in a similar manner, then installed with pressfit retaining compound by reversing the order (but omitting the heating of the hubshell).

Legend has it in the industry that Shimano doesn't produce spares for what is an obvious failure point due to Campagnolo patent squatting on their version of replaceable races. I would seriously question whether or not that's the case, but it does sound good, doesn't it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, serious question: if you're going to do that, why not just use lapping compound?

To the OP: you cannot (easily) adapt a cup-and-cone hub to cartridge bearings...though as a poster above alluded to, you could do it with enough machining skills/equipment (which I will assume you don't have, since you asked).

You COULD--theoretically--remove the damaged cup from the hub; it would need to be frozen as cold as you could get it, fixtured in a press, then have the hubshell heated with a torch/heat gun; while heated, but the race still cold, you would apply the press to the race using an appropriate drift to drive it out of the shell. A suitable donor would need to be found, removed in a similar manner, then installed with pressfit retaining compound by reversing the order (but omitting the heating of the hubshell).

Legend has it in the industry that Shimano doesn't produce spares for what is an obvious failure point due to Campagnolo patent squatting on their version of replaceable races. I would seriously question whether or not that's the case, but it does sound good, doesn't it?
Thanks for the reply. As much as I hate to loose a otherwise excellent lightweight rim, I've come to the realization repairing is not going to be practical. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.