Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently treated myself to a stealthy Burner frame. I'm currently building her up and will post piccies when i'm finished. Can't wait to get her on the trails :D

I do have one small problem with the front mech set up. I'm running an XTR (FD-M961) and the chain rubs on the bottom of the cage in all but the bottom three sprockets while on the granny ring up front :(

Anyone got any experiences with this mech? btw, i'm running a standard 22t granny ring which should be compatible with this mech.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sausage31

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
sausage31 said:
I do have one small problem with the front mech set up. I'm running an XTR (FD-M961) and the chain rubs on the bottom of the cage in all but the bottom three sprockets while on the granny ring up front
I'm using an XT front mech and had a similar issue with my RFX. I couldn't figure out why the chain was rubbing on the bottom of the cage when in the granny gear (mine did it in all the cogs though). I finally realized that when riding the rear wheel would rise ~1.2" relative to the bottom bracket due to sag. Sure enough there was no rub when I rode it around. The Burner would only have ~.75" sag, but this could still effect it. I think this issue is more pronounced on Turners with their steeper seat tube angle.

Congrats on the nice frame; see if this helps or if it is something else entirely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve3 - sorry, i meant bottom as in the lowest gear (largest sprockets)

Miles e - The sag is pretty much what i'm hoping will be my saviour. I'll have to finish the build and go for a spin !!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
First make sure the f der is the correct height. It should only have 1-2mm of clearance as it swings out over the large chainring. If your chain is long, there is drag in your freewheel (E.g. King hubs), and the spring on your rear der weak, you can experience some chain sag which will make the effect more pronounced.

In the end, it will be a tight fit, but once the bike is sagged there won't be rub as was mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
tscheezy said:
First make sure the f der is the correct height. It should only have 1-2mm of clearance as it swings out over the large chainring.
tscheezy, when running a bash guard how do you establish the correct height for the FD?

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
My Burner does the same thing, rubbing slightly if the smallest rear cogs when on the small chainring on the stand. As someone else mentioned, it is a nonissue when riding due to suspension compression.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
THe bash ring can get you into a world of hurt if you set the f der up with one mounted. There is the tendency to slide the f der down cause it looks weird way up there in the correct position for 3-rings. That high position is, however, ALSO the correct position for two rings. Lowering it will cause the swing arm to come up and pile-drive the f der cage at bottomout, and who knows what sort of damage that would lead to...

Take the bash ring off, put a big ring on, adjust the der, then switch back to the bash ring. That is the safest and really the most precise. With the big ring on, you could measure the distance from the center of the bb spindle to the bottom of the f der for future reference, but once you have the f der set up, I don't see why you would ever move it again in your lifetime.

You could take the spring off the shock and check for swing arm/der clearance, but the der is engineered to sit in a certain position, and while this would clear up clearance issues it does not really address proper positioning.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mech still has the little sticky plastic guide on it and is set in the middle o the recommended range. I'll move it to the lowest position to try and cheat a little more space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts