Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
bike rider
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the M971 front derailleur weigh? I'm talking about the "traditional style", high mount, "down-swing" with 34.9 band clamp. I already checked starbike.

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
My old-school XTR FD-M952 weighs a whopping 112g, and shifts much better- thanx to the independent differential plates.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Zachariah said:
My old-school XTR FD-M952 weighs a whopping 112g, and shifts much better- thanx to the independent differential plates.
Can a bottom pull one be adopted for the top pull in that model. I only found a bottom pull one on Ebay.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Was it available in top/bottom pull options and top/bottom swing options?
Why would a Dura Ace FD not be OK to use? Surely they msut be available in lighter than XTR options?

·
bike rider
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like the top swing derailleurs are lighter than down swing. I have a Mojo and need down swing :(

·
bike rider
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having an Epic or using a down-swing? Oh both, sorry, didn't catch you at first.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
Zachariah said:
That's the very same one I have (just had to go double-check)! 113g and nearly a decade in service... like butter.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thomas Anderson said:
I have an Epic and also have to use the down swing - it blows!
Yes - the pivot parts of the Epic frame really limit which models you can use. I currently have a XTR953 - at 125g stock. Most new Epics use a heavier XTR model.

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
The Most Reliable Part on My Entire Bike!

f3rg said:
That's the very same one I have (just had to go double-check)! 113g and nearly a decade in service... like butter.
Lelandjt(OP)......try to find one one these awesome front derailleurs, on eBay. We cannot say enough good things about it. It absolutely blows away the latest and greatest XTR FD- and it weighs just a hair above a road FD.

Sorry for the dirty pic(I ride over 100 miles/week!)....but this is by far the MOST dependable part on my entire 19-pound weight weenie hardtail. The independent differential plates literally GRASP your chain and places it on the next chainring- it's truly a stroke of genius........too bad Shimano stopped production of it, in 2000.

The ONLY drawback is that the FD is extremely tricky to adjust properly, due to it's unconventional construction and design. Good thing most LBSs are well-versed on this part, and will set it up perfectly. I'm keeping mine forever.....it's THAT GOOD!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,783 Posts
Curmy said:
Can a bottom pull one be adopted for the top pull in that model. I only found a bottom pull one on Ebay.
Unfortunately, they cannot. You need to keep looking, they are really worth it. You need a top-pull specific XTR FD-M950/951/952 or M960. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Zachariah said:
Lelandjt(OP)......try to find one one these awesome front derailleurs, on eBay. We cannot say enough good things about it. It absolutely blows away the latest and greatest XTR FD- and it weighs just a hair above a road FD.

Sorry for the dirty pic(I ride over 100 miles/week!)....but this is by far the MOST dependable part on my entire 19-pound weight weenie hardtail. The independent differential plates literally GRASP your chain and places it on the next chainring- it's truly a stroke of genius........too bad Shimano stopped production of it, in 2000.

The ONLY drawback is that the FD is extremely tricky to adjust properly, due to it's unconventional construction and design. Good thing most LBSs are well-versed on this part, and will set it up perfectly. I'm keeping mine forever.....it's THAT GOOD!!!
Not to jinx it, but I had a couple. The cage pivot pins were their proverbial Achilles' Heel, and I suspect that's why Shimano went back to a rigid cage. At least all the top-swing XTRs still have alloy cages.

·
bike rider
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have one of those (need to sell it) but my Mojo and many other bikes can only take a down-swing, traditional style FD.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Zachariah said:
and it weighs just a hair above a road FD.
well - not quite: actual DAs weigh 78g ;)

I'm using mine with 2x9 with great success.

By the way - those older XTRs weigh just 105g if you put some aluminium bolts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts