Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I Have Gnarly Potential
Joined
·
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use XTR disk brakes with King hubs? (with a different 6 bolt ISO disk or something)

And if so in your oppinions is that better then getting XTR centre lock hubs?
 

·
I already rode that
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
If you can go King then why not? Unless its to save $$ by going XTR hubs.
As long as the rotor is 160mm or whatever your bike is set to with the caliper then it should work. XTR is not centerlock specific, thats just what Shimano came up for to be different and lighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
And easier.

SuperNewb said:
If you can go King then why not? Unless its to save $$ by going XTR hubs.
As long as the rotor is 160mm or whatever your bike is set to with the caliper then it should work. XTR is not centerlock specific, thats just what Shimano came up for to be different and lighter.
I am not a fan of centerlock, but as a Mechanic, I like that there are no more stripped torx head bolts, and C/L uses a cassette tool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,267 Posts
Cl

is very cool! Much better than torx bolts. However, only Shimano (and eventually Galfer) makes a rotor to fit CL hubs (the DT adapter works great however).
To answer the original post, you can't use just any 6 bolt rotor with XTR brakes (Hayes rotors for example, does not work because of the difference in the Hayes and Shimano brake track). You're best off with a Shimano 6 bolt rotor.
 

·
I already rode that
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
flipnidaho said:
is very cool! Much better than torx bolts. However, only Shimano (and eventually Galfer) makes a rotor to fit CL hubs (the DT adapter works great however).
To answer the original post, you can't use just any 6 bolt rotor with XTR brakes (Hayes rotors for example, does not work because of the difference in the Hayes and Shimano brake track). You're best off with a Shimano 6 bolt rotor.
Thats incorrect there. I used Hayes/Avids/tektros 6 bolts and never had any issues with brake track. With the round Tektros and the like the brake track is pretty big itself. Shimano rotors are generally a bit thinner then the rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,267 Posts
SuperNewb said:
Thats incorrect there. I used Hayes/Avids/tektros 6 bolts and never had any issues with brake track. With the round Tektros and the like the brake track is pretty big itself. Shimano rotors are generally a bit thinner then the rest.
Oooops, you're right. My bad. I meant to say that you can't use Shimano rotors on Hayes brakes. Well, at least you can use it for a month or so until the wider Hayes pads start vibrating against the Shimano rotors annoyingly... I have successfully used Hayes rotors with my XTR calipers...
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top