Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new XTR disc brakes, 160 mm rotor on XTR hub, mounted on a 29'r and on a Reba. When I completely pull the front brake lever in the brake should be completely stopped - but on my front wheel I have some slop - probably 1/4". I can force my wheel forwards or backwards 1/4" fwhen fully depressed. This shift in the brake makes me know that I must be feeling this slop in hard and even normal light braking. Mechanic said I have bad stanchions on fork. I disagree. The shop help said there actually is some play back and forth in the XTR brake caliper itself, almost like the brake pads don't seat properly - solidly. Anyone know why my XTR brake allows my wheel to move about 1/4" with the lever/brake fully depressed?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
The rivets in the rotor could've developed play. The splines could have machining tolerances. The pads may not fit properly (could be a problem if not using OE pads), the bushings in the fork may be worn out.

Look to see where it's moving while holding the brake.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hard to tell where it is moving, as I hold the brake lever I can't really see accurately what is going on. The brakes have so few miles on them - less than 500 I'd say, and I ride with care. I'm a knucklehead mechanic with disc brakes - they kind of scare me - like I'd end up with oily parts scattered across my garage floor and all kinds of air bubbles! Something about cables... The mechanic thought it was the bushings - but the wheel moves statically in the bike stand when the brake is fully dpressed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had an XT front disc in a 160 mm size which showed the same play. It was loose rivets attaching the disc to the spline. Put your finger over the rivet head and rock the wheel back and forth , you might feel some play there. I rode that disc for a couple years without noticing any ill effects, but if you isolate this as the problem you might want to return the disc to Shimano for replacement.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
XTR hub means you have the centerlock rotor...

For some reason the centerlock rotors are loose on the hub (at least with Mavic's).

I had to take buddies rotor off put a light grease on the splines and put it back on.

Problem solved.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll try rubber bands and look at this thing. I'll also check the splines and maybe add some grease. I appreciate the time you've all taken with your advice. I will say when you buy XTR, and lay out this kind of dough you don't expect any problems at all. So much of the XTR package is the industry standard, and I just assumed the brakes would be as well. Overall I'm not real happy with them - they have little play in the lever - it's all or nothing. I loved the V-brake where I could modulate the power exactly - albeit through my energy and effort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.