Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 model year. With the chain off, they just don't seem to spin very freely. Not what I'm used to with pre-outboard bearing models. Buttery smooth, but they stop after a couple of revs. I've heard this is normal for this set. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
it's just that the bigger bearings with bigger seals have more drag than what you are used to on cartridge type BBs..... under load they spin just fine...don't worry ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd echo what rockyuphill says. When I tighten my adjusting nut too much, I get friction that causes slower revolutions. I back mine off just enough to allow uninhibited movement.

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
Crissillo nailed it, the outboard (external bearing) carnksets do not spin as easily as the inbord type, thats just how they are, probably because of several reasons
larger bearing area, larger seals & dustcaps and probably more grease all add up to more drag on the crank axle. Doesnt seem to make any noticable difference while riding

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

If I was to check the adjusting nut, do I need a special tool? Do the crank arms need to be taken off? Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts