Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currrently there is closeout on XTR stuff (up to 40% off)...

Does it woth it? Compared to XT, it will cost me about the same thing.

Does XTR componenets are more fragile than XT?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Most xtr components like the front mechanism seems much stronger than the xt; and I have both. The xt is pressed folded metal and the xtr is smooth and formed. I also have a rear xtr mech from 2002 not pretty anymore but still going strong; just bought it some new cogs.

I say its worth it if your going to race or looking to drop some weight; its not bling bling like sram. Not until 07 at least.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had both full XT and XTR. I think the one XTR component that is more fragile than XT is the cassette. The XTR spider is cold-forged which is supposely stronger than the XT one, but the XTR Ti cogs are more prone to bending than the XT steel cogs, hence the trade off of reliability for lighter weight. The current XT cassette is actually an improved version of the first generation XTR, similar material and design but about 40 grams lighter.

Other than that I couldn't think of any other XTR components that aren't as strong if not stronger and smoother than XT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
XTR 960 cranks are not worth it (even on closeout)

Crank arms are great, but the rings will wear faster than XT. You can purchase a whole new XT crank for the cost of replacement XTR rings. XTR 950 cranks are a better value as they use standard spiders.

·
Registered
28 Posts
XTR gear is all bling for the most part. Same with X.0. It's the same difference between buying a Mustang and a 911 Carrera. Both ars are fast enough and have a reasonable amount of performance. However, you can buy three Mustangs for the price of one Carrera.

It's all about marketing. Price something above the reach of the common Joe and everyone will want it. Even though no measurable performance gain is noticed.

Gerb

·
Registered
369 Posts
HarrisJ said:
Crank arms are great, but the rings will wear faster than XT. You can purchase a whole new XT crank for the cost of replacement XTR rings. XTR 950 cranks are a better value as they use standard spiders.
The have changed the metal since the first production in 03. I had a pair of 03 cranks and the middle chainring wore quickly but Shimano gave me a replacement. I got some on my 04 bike and never changed the ring. I've been running the same set of chainrings since early 06 on my current bike and the rings are in great condition! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.