Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
the refurbished one
723 Posts
your are talking about he whole chainring or just the spider? (see pic)

the "inner teeths" at the crank arm are the same. so you can use the spider or the big chainring with integrated spider on both crank arms.

Attachments

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
It's the same bolt pattern and will work just fine. M951 was the second iteration of 8 speed and M952 was the first for Mega 9. Aside from the slightly larger pickup pins on the 9 speed, you shouldn't notice any significant differences. As you can see, I used to like these cranks quite a bit (+2 pair on bikes not pictured).

Attachments

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
are ya talkin about this auction? if so, yes, these work just like homebrew said. if yer runnin 8 spd, 9 spd rings are no big deal but a tad noisy. if yer runnin 9 spd, nuthin 8 spd works.

yer other options are to go with a individual 5 arm xtr spyder like hball shows above or the 4 arm i posted below. these are tough to find but well worth it and allow the use of any aftermarket chainring set (i now have rf rings for mine) gettin rid of the propriatary bc of the somewhat soft 950 series rings. if ya do this, make sure ya get a xtr spyder, not the xt that wont fit without major modification.

heres a 5 arm xtr spyder.

Attachments

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
jaysnowman said:
you interested in selling any of those. J
Sorry, that's not my current collection. I only have one set now and it's on a bike.

There are lots of options with these cranks but I wouldn't put too much money into to it when you can get new external bb LX cranks/bb for $80:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25146

That is unless you just want to be nostalgic or "vintage".

·
Glorified Hybrid Owner
1,091 Posts
Homebrew said:
Sorry, that's not my current collection. I only have one set now and it's on a bike.

There are lots of options with these cranks but I wouldn't put too much money into to it when you can get new external bb LX cranks/bb for $80:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=25146

That is unless you just want to be nostalgic or "vintage".
It's closer to $93 at the moment.

For some of us, it's not a vintage thing, but the ability to run 94bcd chainrings.

I am looking for a 94/58-bcd spider that fits M739 XT crankarms (I'm pretty sure an XTR spider would work as well).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.