Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got anew XTR crankset, XTR rear derailler and a new XTR chain. For a FS bike, (I'm riding a Blur XC), Shimano says the new chain should be two links longer than needed to go from the large chain ring to the large cog. So what's a "link"? Is it one whole section of chain, that is, a skinny and a wide piece?

Zinn's book says chain should be one link longer than necessary to go from large to large, and defines a link as above.

So, one link or two, and what's a link?

Thanks.

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
Both? When you buy a Shimano chain they show the total number of links as a total of inner and outer links, Zinn refers to a complete link, i.e. one inner and outer together...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If Zinn says one link, he must mean a pair, inner and outer, since you can't remove just one. Derailleur chains must have an even number of links. Otherwise folks normally count all the links so a 110 link chain is 55 inches long.

For 1/2 x 1/8 track chains they used to make an odd link which was inner at one end and outer at the other, making possible an odd number of total links, something important if trying to maintain a desired wheel base when changeing cogs. I don't know if these sitll exist.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yep, called a 1/2 link,nm

xxxx
FBinNY said:
If Zinn says one link, he must mean a pair, inner and outer, since you can't remove just one. Derailleur chains must have an even number of links. Otherwise folks normally count all the links so a 110 link chain is 55 inches long.

For 1/2 x 1/8 track chains they used to make an odd link which was inner at one end and outer at the other, making possible an odd number of total links, something important if trying to maintain a desired wheel base when changeing cogs. I don't know if these sitll exist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.