Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Bike Breaker.
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a replacement cassette for my present XT which has been great, the XTR seems better in the respect of weight saving, how durable is the titanium on these, its the 07 version and is the 06 that much diferent as I can get that one cheaper.

·
Registered
272 Posts
catnash said:
I'm thinking of getting a replacement cassette for my present XT which has been great, the XTR seems better in the respect of weight saving, how durable is the titanium on these, its the 07 version and is the 06 that much diferent as I can get that one cheaper.
I'm not a fan of titanium cassettes. Sure they are lighter, but cassettes are consumables. You'll be replacing it at some point, no question. So i can't quite stomach paying twice the price for XTR. Having said that, there are good deals on '06 XTR. '07's just a bit lighter i think, but if i were you, i'd probably buy and '06 to see how I liked it.

GL,
-don

·
Registered
383 Posts
Ah.. XTR 970 is now about 3x $ as XT

Just remember that a XT cassette will cost about $70 - $80 while the new XTR cassette is going for $235 - $245.

So ask yourself if you will notice the 40 gram weight savings more than your wallet weighing $165 less.

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
Holy Price Gouging Batman!

The last XTR cassette I bought new was $45 and the last XT level cassette was $29
Granted these were both 8spd but still....

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,761 Posts
A Couple Years

But still...that was the most expensive non-exotic cassette available.

Its not good when a cassette can cost more than the wheelset it will be attached to. :rolleyes:

My point was: Why are cassettes 4x more expensive than they were a few years ago. They weigh a bit less, don't last as long, aren't servicable, and shift the same.
Heck for $235 I could get a Boone cassette(when Bruce was running it anyway, and they were timely and offered a lot more stuff) and a few spare cogs...enough to last for years of riding.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
$165 / 40g = $4 a gram. Cocaine = $100 a gram, so when you look at it that way, our addiction is SO much more affordable. But the REAL benefit is the XTR cassette will last four maybe even six months longer than the gram of Cocaine that instantly gets sucked up some addicts nose minutes after they buy it. But don't hold me to that. If you do out of the saddle sprints on your XTR cassette your mileage may vary. Hey they're designed for one or two races and then throw 'em away and get a new one, right?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I got chain dynamics cassette for $Can 180. cahin reaction cycles have the XTR for $Can135.

The titanium has certainly lasted well so far and I hope at least several times longer than the XT.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I got chain dynamics cassette for $Can 180. cahin reaction cycles have the XTR for $Can135.

The titanium has certainly lasted well so far and I hope at least several times longer than the XT.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Last year the LBS guy talked me out of an XTR cassette vs XT because he said the Ti cogs on the XTR will wear out faster than the XT cogs. But I was also trying to get him to pricematch an XTR cassette with an online store and he wasn't digging that.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I don't get the titanium wearing out faster than the alloy cassettes.

Ti is as hard and as strong as alloy steels I believe (some low chrome/nickel stainless)

It certainly resists corrosion better.

It is more flexible than alloy steels, but this should not matter much on a cassette.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
Y'all are smokin something or clock in at 140lbs - can anyone honestly say they have had an xtr last more than 6 mths

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
That makes some sense to me the Ti is more flexible (low modulus of elasticity).
I am pretty smooth, and the cycle dynamics is a bit meatier than the XTR. But only single cogs, not ganged.

·
Registered
59 Posts
do not buy the '06 unless you like spending too much and are light not as durable as the XT they shift the same and the cost per gram is huge. Plus if you wear out on cog the whole cassette is toast

the '07 is a lot stonger so the bending issue is gone, and the cassette is split up Campy style (2 cogs per spider) so if you wear one out you can replace just that part. I trust this cassette again just be sure to replace your chain often or get a chain wear tool to protect the cassette.

·
Registered
248 Posts
From a metalurgist standpoint, Ti will not wear as well as steel therefore as stated the XTR will wear much faster than the XT. XT 264 grams - XTR 240 grams, unless your that much of a weight weenie go for the XT.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Depends on the steel and the titanium. Most aftermarket Ti cassettes use Ti 6/4, and some offer heat-treated cogs (ActionTec) as an additional option. You couldn't actually get shimano to explain which steel and ti alloys they use on their cassettes, but looking at some likely candidates....

Ti 6/4 in its annealed (non heat-treated) state has a vickers hardness of 349 and a UTS of 138,000psi. Its modulus of elasticity really has no bearing on the application as you're not flexing the stuff in the direction the chain load is being applied. Aluminium is even more flexible and you can make a cogset out of it also (Hugi used to offer them for YEARS).
In its heat-treated state though, the vickers hardness jumps to 396 and the UTS to 170,000psi. That's VERY strong and very hard compared to most steels used in cogsets and chainrings.

Remember... shimano and SRAM make money selling replacement parts, and they're not about to use a long wearing material to make cogs out of (no money in doing so). So its unlikely their Ti used for the cassettes is 6/4. More likely its just grade 4 CP pure titanium, which is still plenty strong for the application, but drops the hardness down to 280 vickers which is still quite good (4130CrMo which is a medium carbon steel normally used to make frame tubes from is around 180 vickers).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.