Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if the new XTR 11-speed cassette and chain will work with the Shimano 10-speed chainrings and derailleur I already own, which would make conversion MUCH cheaper.

I'm sure that Shimano's answer will be "absolutely not", but we all know the real, field tested answer to these questions may be quite different.

For example, when they went from 9 speed to 10 speed, I asked if 9 speed chainrings would work with the new 10 speed chain, and the official answer was, of course, NO. But it turned out the real answer was YES, PERFECTLY.

I know it's early days for this, but any real knowledge would be much appreciated.

·
chasing simplicity
1,306 Posts
That would be awesome, and if Shimano took a strategic view of wanting to close the gap as quickly as possible on SRAM to front load a huge number of conversions 1x11, they would say "yes." Pretty sure it will be as before tho. That new cassette looks sweet, but the cranks look a little less so.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All true. I wonder if anybody knows when the new XTR will be available to the public. That information has been notably absent from the articles I skimmed (or I just missed it).

·
chasing simplicity
1,306 Posts
My LBS thinks early summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
You beat me to the post.

I'm not so interested in the concept of a single chain ring as even the SRAM XX1 28T and 42T cog is not as low as my current nine speed 22T X 34T.

I'm looking for lower gearing and have been keeping an eye on the various add on 40 and 42T cogs but have noticed mixed reviews as far as shifting performance is concerned. The new XTR group will be available with 24/34 or 22/30/40 cranks. They are listed on CRC and the cranksets are priced as $458 and $483 respectively. The single ring crank is at $310. I would be perfectly happy with an XT level crankset for half the price. There is a new XT 22/30/40 for $217.

By the way, the XTR M9000 11 Speed Cassette is listed for $248 which is not too bad considering that it is partly carbon and titanium. The XTR rear derailleur is at $186. All components are expected to be in stock on August 8 2014 according to Chain Reaction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts