Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today i was bleeding my rear brakes and after pumping in oil i close the valve and started pushing on the level then i notice a pile of oil on the ground...turns out one of the pistol pop out and that's where the oil came out from. So i push the piston back in and re-pump more oil into the brakes and closed the valve squeezed level and again the same pistol would pop out again. What am i doing wrong?? Is there a way I'm suppose to push back the pistol to secure it from popping out?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Your brake is operating properly.

You keep saying piston, and sometimes said piston. Do you always mean piston?

If you mean piston, yes the piston will fall out of the caliper. During a brake bleed you should install a brake block (fills the gap between pistons) so you do not lose the pistons.

If you mean piston, then disregard my post as I don't know what a pistol is.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts
Well, doesn't sound like you have the yellow space in the caliper to stop the piston (pistol) from popping out. If there is nothing to stop the piston (pistol) from popping out, it will pop out.

Pulling on the lever pushes oil through the goes into the caliper and acts upon the back of the piston (pistol). That force of the oil will push the piston (pistol) outwards onto the pads which then clamps down onto the rotor. Since you dont have a rotor or pads in place, the piston (pistol) will just keep doing what they were designed to do, to move outwards from the force of the oil.

In other words, use the yellow spacer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.