Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that XTR has been drilled in somewhat non-standard patterns over time and I get all blurry when I try to sort out what model number means what. I am considering picking up a set of used XTRs that run with an external BB setup for a bike I have. I usually run XT and it is all good there, XTR I am not so sure about. I know some of them are spiderless.

I need 180s so my choices are limited, I need to run a 22 small CR or at the very least a 24 (which would mean a heavier 12-36 cassette to get the gearing I need) and a 32 or 34T middle...no big ring.

Is there a 4 bolt XTR crank for external BB that is 'normal' in BCD or? I just don't want to get stuck buying pricy Shimano CRs because it is an odd set up.

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
The 960 series has a proprietary bolt circle, the 970 cranks use a standard BCD but a non standard spider offset so any other chainrings will need spacers to line up the chain ring spacing.

You can sub the cheaper XT 770 steel/carbon middle ring for the 970 XTR, the XT/XTR big rings might even be interchangeable, but the XTR granny is a proprietary extra thick size so you need spacers for any aftermarket ring or the XT granny.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah. Looks like an M970 could do the trick. I sure do not want to pay the ridiculous price for that middle ring though. Plain old 6061 is fine for me. As long as I have options there....are the spacers readily available or is this a DIY mod with hardware store parts?

Really, the XTR deal is more for the look of the crank then anything, although they are obviously very, very nice cranks. XT is silver and this bike would look better in black-ish stuff. There are very few cranks out there in 180mm, kinda limits me.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Spray paint or have have the XTs annodized black.

They are stiffer, stronger, have a better spindle interface, are much less expensive, only a tiny bit heavier(not that the difference would make ANY difference in any way), and you can run standard (read normally priced) rings.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
mtroy said:
Ah. Looks like an M970 could do the trick. I sure do not want to pay the ridiculous price for that middle ring though. Plain old 6061 is fine for me. As long as I have options there....are the spacers readily available or is this a DIY mod with hardware store parts?

Really, the XTR deal is more for the look of the crank then anything, although they are obviously very, very nice cranks. XT is silver and this bike would look better in black-ish stuff. There are very few cranks out there in 180mm, kinda limits me.
XTR's aren't worth their price IMO. Check out the FifteenG cranks, http://bythehive.com/ , they fit everything you're looking for.
They come in 180, are black, and are close in weight to XTR at 1/2 the price. Very stiff too, and take normal rings. Even at equal price I'd take them over XTR any day.

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
New Raceface cranks with the turbine rings are also good value. (deus I think has them). Not expensive and the rings prices are ok when wear happens.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ventanarama said:
XTR's aren't worth their price IMO. Check out the FifteenG cranks, http://bythehive.com/ , they fit everything you're looking for.
They come in 180, are black, and are close in weight to XTR at 1/2 the price. Very stiff too, and take normal rings. Even at equal price I'd take them over XTR any day.

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com
I looked at those earlier and they interest me, but it seemed I remember them having a unique spindle diameter. I was planning on running a Chris King BB. As long as I could do that, then I like the rest of the crank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.