Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recall a few months back that someone had put the black Saint bashguard on a set of XTR cranks (Which looked pretty cool) so I ordered one ($8- sweet!) and with some light trimming it fit with no problem.

The problem: The attach bolts are too small in diameter, WTF!? I even tried my Race Face ones and they were too small they just pull right through, has anyone encountered this? Are the Saint attach bolts bigger in diameter?

I hope to find a resolution because the bashguard looks really sweet on my XTR cranks.

I just realized that there are NO bushings in the bashguard and after looking online, nothing available....I don't get it, why would anyone sell the bashguard without the bushings???? F-it.

Thanks.
Bob

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess the big question is whether the bolts will fit the middle ring on the XTR cranks or not.

You would think that Shimano would come out with a kick a** bashguard that actually fit their TOP-OF-THE LINE crankset?????

:skep:

·
Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
1,214 Posts
Nick, that is the Saint guard right?

Do both of those necessitate losing the big ring?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Datalogger said:
Nick, that is the Saint guard right?

Do both of those necessitate losing the big ring?
Yes, it is a saint bashguard.

I really like the looks of the top chainring and would probably keep it but I would snap it off in a week with all the rocks and logs I roll over.

:ihih:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Team Fubar Rider said:
I am running the exact same bashguard on my singlespeed set up with Bonty cranks. I had the same problem. Took the chainring bolts to the hardware store and found some thin spacers that fit over the chainring bolts, but had a slightly larger O.D. than the shoulder of the bolt. Worked like a charm for about $.29 for 4 of 'em!
Team Fubar Rider is a man after my own heart... I did exactly the same except I spend pennies in the UK rather than cents! You'll need 4 slightly larger washers/spacers. The only one's I could find were split washers (not ideal - but did the job).

Later I checked out the Saint cranks and yes, they have a bigger head on the chainring bolt from normal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
xtr bashguard

i use syncros aluminum bashguard w/ crome finish,just remove the big ring then use the same bolt then its done. i've search a lot of bashguard that can fit xtr crank w/o minor mod, this fits easily but the downside is the crome finish corode easily

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.