Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Green Mojo
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am specing and building a new IBIS Mojo. I am wondering what you experts say about Chris King hubs vs. the newest 2007 XTR Wheelset????

Anybody got any input or feedback???

Thanks!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Don't know the answer but I hope to build a bike like that very soon, keep us posted. I'm just waiting to hear back from a bike shop regarding an Ibis frame. Can't freaking wait!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I can hardly imagine many folks have more than a couple of miles on the new XTR wheels and comparing those to something that has been on the market for nearly a generation is asking for some serious speculation. We rode the XTR's at Interbike on Shimano demo rigs (Intense 5.5 and Ibis Mojo). You can't really tell anything from that length of exposure aside from complete failure.

I think it is safe to say that the XTR hubs will continue their pedigree of being extremely smooth and durable hubs, and I'm glad they moved away from proprietary spokes. Aren't they cartridge bearings now...?

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Not much more than a spin......

Cheezy said it...Not enough of them out there with miles & miles on them so, you'll get nothing but speculation.

- I will say this : I checked out my Shimano rep's Orbea with the XTR wheelset and it is very nice, light, and engagement is *close* to Kings. They do remain cup n' cone and there's nuthin' wrong with that. I'd say I/we service more Sealed Cartridge type hubs in my LBS than any cup n' cone from Shimano. Except for the Easton wheelsets we've sold, so far, so good for them.

The XTR's look promising but only time will tell.

·
Green Mojo
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input. Given the legacy of success for XTR and the weight savings available with the complete system (brakes, etc.) I have decided to proceed with the XTR wheelset. (I am still open to comments, input and feedback from any that have experience with XTR vs. King.)

I can't wait.... bike is supposed to land first week of February. I will be riding within 60 seconds of buildup completion. Am feeling a little ill already, will probably need a few days off work after receiving the bike.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have about 500KMs on my WH-M975 XTR wheels and I have no complaints yet. Infact I won my first MTB race on my second ride on them. My older ones (WH-M965) used to howl like a dog in heat when braking and that was my biggest issue with them. they were strong and light but the noise was a bit much. These new ones don't do that any more. They excellerate like mad too. I guess having such a light rim (scandium) make for some very low rotational weight. I say go XTR!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts