Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Saving lives with knives.
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the older XTR 975 brakes do in cold temps. I really like the look and feel of my 965s but the lever get really stiff in cold weather, I found a set of the 975's for cheap and was looking to maybe resolve this issue. Is this an issue common to all mineral oil brakes, or is this a design issue with these in particular. I would greatly appreciate any advice, even if it's for other brake brands they do well in the cold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't believe it's a mineral oil issue but rather a caliper seal issue. I have the m585s and they are horrible when the temp is less than 40F. The rubber used for the seals gets stiff in the cold and does not allow the piston to fully retract. I think Shimano has fixed this but I'm not sure if they did on 975's.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
How do the older XTR 975 brakes do in cold temps. I really like the look and feel of my 965s but the lever get really stiff in cold weather, I found a set of the 975's for cheap and was looking to maybe resolve this issue. Is this an issue common to all mineral oil brakes, or is this a design issue with these in particular. I would greatly appreciate any advice, even if it's for other brake brands they do well in the cold.
Sorry don't know what you are doing wrong....I ride my XTR's down to -35 C they don't get stiff at all...

They do leak some oil when it gets below -25 C.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts