Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running XTR 970 shifters on my Sultan. When I press the larger (closest to rider) button, it shifts to a smaller cog in the rear. If I press the smaller button, it shifts to a taller cog. This seems backwards from any other setup that I have ridden.

I am currently running XT shifters on my Mach 5 and it shifts opposite of the Sultan with the XTR. The desired way in my opinion.

Could this have something to do with differences in derailleurs? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can reverse the button functions on the XTR shifter?

Thank you!

·
Doctor
264 Posts
Kelly Klett said:
I am currently running XTR 970 shifters on my Sultan. When I press the larger (closest to rider) button, it shifts to a smaller cog in the rear. If I press the smaller button, it shifts to a taller cog. This seems backwards from any other setup that I have ridden.

I am currently running XT shifters on my Mach 5 and it shifts opposite of the Sultan with the XTR. The desired way in my opinion.

Could this have something to do with differences in derailleurs? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can reverse the button functions on the XTR shifter?

Thank you!
As posted, you have a "Lo-Normal" (aka Rapid Rise) derailleur. Get a "Top-Normal" (aka traditional) derailleur to switch the shifting actions. ..and do it soon before you get accustomed to the one you have! :D

jeff

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I was asking because I am used to the Top Normal on my Pivot and have a difficult time when I want to change up and ride the Turner. It sure does keep things interesting when you keep shifting the wrong direction :D

·
Registered
736 Posts
I've used rapid Rise and i liked it. It seems more "natural" to me for a mtnbike. When ridding in the dirt and the need for a lower gear is NOW!! it works great!! If you don't like ti and wish to sell it send me an e-mail.
Thnaks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.