Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a wheelset, and I've upped my budget enough to allow XTR 965 hubs in the build. Their light weight and reasonable price is tempting. The question is about their durability.

I'm sure they would handle good ol' XC trail riding without any problems whatsoever, but I can't resist small jumps and drops (3' or so) when they present themselves. And the average terrain around here is very rocky, so there's lots of 'vibration'. Will I destroy these hubs in short order?

I don't think I'm rough on equipment, but my background includes 17x bmx racing (wayyyy back in the day), sport level XC racing, and sport level trials comps.... So overall, maybe "aggressive XC/light AM". :rolleyes:

I tried searching, but didn't really find much. The 4 character minimum pretty much eliminates searching for "XTR" or "965". The reviews were pretty sparse as well.

Thanks in advance for any info/opinions/witty repartee....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have an older FH-M950 I just built up with DT comps and a bont. maveric rim. So far so good... But I can't comment on the M965. Try a search for FH-M965 as thats the full model number, IIRC.

·
Registered
240 Posts
never used them.....but my LBS commented the other day that EVERY set of xtr hubs they have used needed to be tightened FROM THE FACTORY. so word to the wise. no strong comments about quality, just a troubling trend regarding attention to detail.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey Manning,

They are great hubs, smooth and beautiful. But, not bomb-proof...

I ran mine for a few years on the "regular" bike with no problems (they were laced to Mavic tubeless rims and, get this, titanium spokes). GREAT WHEELS :thumbsup: !

Then, got greedy, got some new wheels, and so I began using them on my singlespeed (Surley spacer kit for the rear). I soon noticed the rear skipping engagement - they are titanium and more fragile than XT. Replaced the freehub with XT and smooth sailing again. Also, noticed some crunchiness in the front and found the balls/cone/race had all worn a bit unevenly, either due to grit or some oxidation. Replaced balls/cone and it's okay now.

To be fair, until the above conversion, I don't recall cleaning/overhauling either hub, so you can probably count on three+ years of maintenance free smoothness, longer if you take good care of them.

I don't think you have to worry about drops/vibrations. I was doing very technical riding including 4 - 5 foot drops on mine. Your rim will break before the hub will. Water and dust will ruin them sooner.

Good luck,

E

·
Banned
1,372 Posts
Not sure how much you can get the XTR's for, but you can get Hope Pro 2's for about $250 a pair on ebay. Those will certainly stand up to AM use, and some people DH on them. The weights are similar....look it up.

Also keep in mind that you'll have to use centerlock rotors on the XTR's, or an adapter that adds weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.