Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been discussed already, but a search of the board didn't reveal a similar question. I'm slowly moving away from shimano products for many of the same reasons that have been discussed on this board, but I do want to hang onto my XTR 952 cranks as long as I can. I love these cranks and IMO this is the best shimano product I've used in 20 years of mountain biking and I'm looking to hoard some extra parts for them. I've got the chainring problem solved but onto BB issues.

Now to the question(s). Are there any other Shimano Octalink BB's that are compatible with the 952 cranks? I read somewhere that 105 BB will work... is that true and do they come in 68mm/112.5mm(113) sizing? Looking for value as the 952 BB are still quite expensive.

Thanks much,

EndUser

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BB compatibility with FC-M952-4 (XTR) cranks

Thought I'd give this another shot...

Will any other shimano octalink BB work with FC-M952-4 (XTR) cranks? Or am I doomed to use the BB-M952 (XTR) model bottom bracket for the life of these cranks?

Again, thanks in advance.

EndUser

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
Not doomed but not free either...

The Shimano Octalink road bb do have have the same splined pattern as XTR but the spindle widths and chainlines are different. You might be able to get them to work but they aren't really much cheaper so why bother. There is the older M950 XTR bb that will work great. It's lighter stiffer and will last much longer with a bit of maintenance. I've got over 2 years on one now. It is more difficult to install though. They aren't very prevelant but you see them on eBay all the time. Also, I don't think $40 is that expensive for a top line bb. Race Face, FSA and others charge $100+ for bb that are just as light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.