Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't love my mechanical Eagle XX1 12 speed.

I have run it with stock Eagle Cassette and also E13 9-46 cassette.
Have also tried both trigger shifter and grip shift.

I do like the feel and action of grip shift, but I have been unable to get the Eagle XX1 to shift perfectly-

Am I going to find perfection with 9100 or Eagle AXS?

Has anyone else made this switch?

·
Registered
302 Posts
i really like AXS, but then I never had a problem with XX1 eagle mechanical.

Not used shimano mtb for years.

Regardless of manufacturer, i won't be buying cable operated gears again.

As for not getting it shifting properly, thats user error I'm afraid.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,602 Posts
Agree that failure to get your Eagle shifting properly is user error, though it does seem Eagle is notably more finicky on setup than previous generations.

That said, I have no desire to use an electronic drivetrain for anything other than a race bike. I'm sure it works great, but I simply don't want batteries that are integral to the operation of my bike.

I'm using XTR M9100 and am quite pleased with it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You could possibly have something that's tweaked (IE derailleur hanger, cassette cog, kinked shifter cable, etc) or maybe you're over-estimating the talent level of your mechanic. That said, I would consider myself a very average home mechanic and I've set up/indexed my mechanical X01 dozens of times in less than 5 minutes to near perfection (Can't imagine XX1 would be any different). In my own experience my X01 setup has been significantly easier to get right than my old 11 speed XTR. Don't overlook the B tension adjustment using SRAM's plastic guide also.. it's more dependent on accurate b tension than most I'd say.
Or perhaps I'm the best mechanic in the country!

·
↓big watter↓
97 Posts
agree, that something is wrong with the setup.

beside that: i have the AXS since some weeks and i cannot recommend the AXS:
the clutch 3.0 is very weak, therefore the bike really loud (louder as with shimano). no adjustment possible like at shimanos rd's.
also dissapointing to me: the axs shifter does not have any feedback if a shift is done or not. mostly no problem, but sometimes very annoying.
and most important: the shifter is completely wrong positioned and dimensioned - for me at least. the paddel is to close to the bar and there is no possibility to adjust this in any way. i've asked Sram: no response.

i come from xtr and i am about to mount the xtr again.

i may be whining at a high level, but i think it's ok to expect perfection at this price.
from my point of view: axs = failed in the first step.
unfortunately.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree 100%.

I ordered an XTR drivetrain and I will give it a try.
I was open to trying out AXS- But they sold out of kits before I placed my order.
So I decided to find out how the 9100 XTR works-

I am going to use a Wolftooth narrow-wide ring. For 12 speed but not specific to XTR.
Some say you can use XTR chain, but with SRAM or KMC quicklink. Some say it is better just to use a SRAM chain.

I will report back with my experiences.

agree, that something is wrong with the setup.

beside that: i have the AXS since some weeks and i cannot recommend the AXS:
the clutch 3.0 is very weak, therefore the bike really loud (louder as with shimano). no adjustment possible like at shimanos rd's.
also dissapointing to me: the axs shifter does not have any feedback if a shift is done or not. mostly no problem, but sometimes very annoying.
and most important: the shifter is completely wrong positioned and dimensioned - for me at least. the paddel is to close to the bar and there is no possibility to adjust this in any way. i've asked Sram: no response.

i come from xtr and i am about to mount the xtr again.

i may be whining at a high level, but i think it's ok to expect perfection at this price.
from my point of view: axs = failed in the first step.
unfortunately.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
I really doubt you are going to go wrong either way. My X01 Eagle works perfect. I am sure new XTR would be just as great.

I want AXS, but I might buy a bike with it, not going to upgrade to it on an existing bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.