Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped an 11 speed XTR Cassette/RD/shifter from an older frame with a 68mm external bb to a new frame with a pf30 converted to 24mm with a wheels bb. With the 68 mm bb I was able to configure the bb spacers to bring the chainline in 2.5mm which greatly improved the chainline in the larger rings with the 2mm inset of the 11 speed cassette. I have been running 10 speed cranks with race face NW chainrings but due to the lack of adjustability of the pf30 bb I ordered a set of 9020 single ring crank but want to try either wolftooth or one up rings rather than Shimano for $$$ purposes. The wolftooth seems to keep the chainline in to 49mm and I think the OneUp does as well but wondering what experiences others have had?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeah, the Wolftooth has a 49mm chainline unless you go bigger than 34t. I have a 32t installed on a new set of XTR cranks on the bench that is going on a friends bike, they look very nice and the ring is typical Wolftooth quality. It looks better than the stock Shimano rings. I think with 11-speed maintaining that chainline is critical. My bike has M985 cranks with a Wolftooth 32t, but that setup only gets down to around 50mm, even that 1mm makes a difference compared to my previous cranks which were at 49mm. But I really like the M985 XTR cranks and since I am running 10 speed it still works well. I don't think I would be as happy with the results if I had an 11 speed cassette.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts