Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just picked up a set of the new M980 XTR pedals. They arrived yesterday, after MUCH anticipation!

First off, they look amazing... normal XTR/Shimano quality and machining. The weight was 308grams for the pair, so a little under claimed. Can't complain about that!

Threw them on my CX bike last night and did a short ride. The new wider platform is really nice. You feel rock solid when clipped it. The ride wasn't long enough to get a good feel... but that will come soon enough. Going on a night MTB ride tonight, so I'll report back after that.

The new design also seems to be a bit more open than the last generation XTR. So, hopefully they will shed mud a bit better. That was my main beef with the last generation pedals when I used them for CX races. Not such a big deal in most MTB settings though.

I've been an Eggbeater guy the last couple seasons, so I'm anxious to see how these play out. I really like the solid engagement of Shimano pedals for riding MTB, but have always the above mentioned mud issues on occasion in the CX world. Also, the Eggs are so easy to get in and out of... which is nice for the constant remounting, etc.

I figured that if these don't turn out to be my cup of tea that I can always sell them pretty easily considering there're fairly rare at the moment.

·
Registered
911 Posts
sweet! I also run xtr pedals. I had ti egg beaters, and I thought the xtr's were better for getting in and out of. I'm a light weight, and I ride a soft tail, so the egg beaters were pretty hard for me to get into. maybe cuz they were new? I didnt keep them long enough to find out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I haven't ridden SPDs in a few years but I'm relatively new to EggBeaters for CX this year and there is definitely a learning curve to them; I was ready to give up on them during the first week of riding them. I'm still slow finding cleat + pedal when standing still, but doing a flying remount I find it smooth as silk (usually). IMO there is far more positive engagement with SPDs, but the 4 sided engagement of the EBs is absent.

I'm in for more XTR vs EB comparision.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I like the feel and design of crank bros, but not the fact that they fall apart and the cleats don't last. One of my pairs has become noticeably worn to the point I've pulled out accidentally a few times, and the're now relegated to road use.

So I was going to get Times once I save the money up, but I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new Shimanos. I don't really deal with mud anymore even in most of the cross races I do, so they could be a good option, especially if they trickle the design down to XT.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a 15 mile night MTB ride last night on them. Very impressed so far! The added platform is so noticeable when clipped in. Also, the pedals seem easy to find. I did some remounts/dismounts, etc to simulate CX racing during the ride to get a feel for that as well.

The engagement when clipped in is far superior to the EB for sure. But, they certainly don't have as much float or "free" of a feeling as I'm used to. My knees are kind of fussy, so I am not 100% sure that is going to work out for me in the long term... but I hope that it does!

The spindle width is also a few mm wider on the XTR compared to my 4Ti Eggs.... which might contribute to some knee issues. Time will tell on that one. I'm going on a nice longer gravel ride tonight (couple of hours at least). The constant pedaling, etc, will give me a better feel for how they are going to work out with my knees.

I even picked up some XT pedals the other day for my backup bike... so I hope these keep feeling good :)

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
M_S said:
I like the feel and design of crank bros, but not the fact that they fall apart and the cleats don't last.
i hear these kinds of complaints a lot. which ones are you using? i have found that the better ones are MUCH better, the stamped steel ones don't hold up as well (i use them on my road bike). i also have found that the cleats don't wear as much as they used to... don't know if they changed the alloy or what, but the cleats on my shoes have lasted all year for both road and mtn.

i have had the opposite experience of most. tried XTR pedals for a 12hr race and had a moderate pedal strike on one of the first few laps that completely destroyed an XTR pedal. it was replaced by shimano, but i have had much harder strikes on my CB pedals that didn't damage them so the Shimano's got sold!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 4TI's have held up really well. Sure I throw a set of new bearings in them once or twice a year, but that honestly doesn't bother me that much. After two years of use they are just now starting to get a bit of play from the wings being worn down.

Out 2Tis have been holding up just as well.

Between my wife and I, we have about 9 sets of Eggs in various types. I even have some d2 year old bottom of the barrel ones on my SS CX/gravel bike that I NEVER do any maintenance on and they are still going strong. If they break... I'll just toss them and get another set.

That said, I have some 5 year old 520 pedals that won't die either.

CB definitely updated the alloy in the cleats... they wear much better. I still replace them a couple times a year to reduce play and to keep from wearing the pedal body/wings from excessively worn cleats (kind of like a chain/cogs).

·
Registered
178 Posts
Approximately how much float do the SPDs have before they disengage? I'm wondering if my intermittent CX dismount issue I have is due to the excess float allowed by the CB pedals before disengaging (mine are set to 15*). Perhaps float may not be the right word? I mean twisting without disengaging.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,968 Posts
I was fortunate enough to go on a ride with Adam Craig a few weeks back. He mentioned that the pedals were the biggest improvement on the new XTR group. Brakes second. I just secured a pair for myself. I love the XTs, but the rocking and the ease of release while shredding is not favorable.

·
Registered
619 Posts
briscoelab said:
My 4TI's have held up really well. Sure I throw a set of new bearings in them once or twice a year, but that honestly doesn't bother me that much. After two years of use they are just now starting to get a bit of play from the wings being worn down.

Out 2Tis have been holding up just as well.

Between my wife and I, we have about 9 sets of Eggs in various types. I even have some d2 year old bottom of the barrel ones on my SS CX/gravel bike that I NEVER do any maintenance on and they are still going strong. If they break... I'll just toss them and get another set.

That said, I have some 5 year old 520 pedals that won't die either.

CB definitely updated the alloy in the cleats... they wear much better. I still replace them a couple times a year to reduce play and to keep from wearing the pedal body/wings from excessively worn cleats (kind of like a chain/cogs).
You are lucky then, I broke the 4Tis (wings) in a year so I bought the Single Tis (assuming the Ti Wing was the weak link). Those broke in less than a year. Oh yeah, I weigh 135 lbs too and race XC (no drops, etc). EB pedals are disposable pedals IMO...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
those are the newest?, i was just looking at the xtr980, they look great they have a cage,big bucks.Yours look like xt's but they clearly have xtr on them,last years xtr? i'm using atomic quicksteps, which have a nice platform,one of the springloaded levers just started to jam up a bit, kind of annoying. I just fixed the positioning preload on my classic shimano dh pedals(the red ones), i'm gonna try those again.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
MessagefromTate said:
You are lucky then, I broke the 4Tis (wings) in a year so I bought the Single Tis (assuming the Ti Wing was the weak link). Those broke in less than a year. Oh yeah, I weigh 135 lbs too and race XC (no drops, etc). EB pedals are disposable pedals IMO...
if you broke them on rock strikes (which is the only way I can imagine it) then you would have broken an XTR pedal just the same. i don't know crap about Time pedals, but have seen some of them broken as well from rock strikes.

learn how to not hit your pedal on rocks. :thumbsup:

oh, and eat a frickin cookie while you are learning! :)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
herbn said:
those are the newest?, i was just looking at the xtr980, they look great they have a cage,big bucks.Yours look like xt's but they clearly have xtr on them,last years xtr? i'm using atomic quicksteps, which have a nice platform,one of the springloaded levers just started to jam up a bit, kind of annoying. I just fixed the positioning preload on my classic shimano dh pedals(the red ones), i'm gonna try those again.

You were likely looking at the M985 Trail pedals, they have a really big cage for added platform. These are the M980 pedals.

·
Registered
619 Posts
whybotherme said:
if you broke them on rock strikes (which is the only way I can imagine it) then you would have broken an XTR pedal just the same. i don't know crap about Time pedals, but have seen some of them broken as well from rock strikes.

learn how to not hit your pedal on rocks. :thumbsup:

oh, and eat a frickin cookie while you are learning! :)
No rock strikes, both times my foot pulled out and i couldn't clip back in so I looked down and the wing was collapsed. The pedals were not abused, they are junk. TIME and LOOK use thicker gauge material on their bars...

1 - 20 of 98 Posts